Pulling Turps out of floral waters!

Hey errbody

I was doing some steam style distillation for some turps with moderate success. Obviously the nice turps float on top, but I can also see that there’s some really nice water soluble turpenes in the water layer. They taste great, they smell great, but I can’t really do much with em! I’m curious if there’s ways to pull them out?

I would assume that some patience and cold temperature might drop them out.

I was curious if doing an alkene pull (pentane came to mid because of low boiling point?) in a LLE style extraction would suck these guys out of the water. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

@Beaker any thoughts as a resident LLE expert?

1 Like

Freeze the water?

Works with apple cider…

3 Likes

I would grab those volatiles for sure with a hexane or pentane seperation funnel set up. I would at least try but I so far only work the LLE to try to remove terps and not with an eye towards salvage. I hate guessing but if the hexane or pentane wont recover those I am not sure what would.

2 Likes

Salt the water, Leave it alone overnight in a sep funnel.

3 Likes

Ooooooh that’s an elegant solution (no pun intended). Maybe combine with cold as well? You can get the temps down below freezing since its salt water? Help push it out even more?

You may have salt crash out at lower temps, but feel free to experiment :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yeah for sure, I’d be curious to see if there’s an optimal temperature/salt ratio or if its just the colder the better. I’ll keep y’all posted :smiley:

The curiosity is getting me. Did you ever get these to seperate?

3 Likes

The salt did push some stuff out. There wasn’t enough to be worth harvesting in my small sample size, but I think it would be a worthwhile process.

1 Like