Prv failure on tank, I need help!

The PRV on my 6×18 solvent tank has reached the end of its life. I’m wondering what is the best prv to switch it out with. I was gonna take out the tee where the prv and gauge is and put a shut off under it and take off the prv and plug it up so I can do a run tomorrow while waiting for a new prv. But I figure I’d just ask what kind of prv would be the best and wait to do a run.

I keep my tank outside. (= and my tank is empty… … Pulled a hard vacuum to it and the leak was coming from the prv.

2 Likes

I’d transfer all the gas to your extractor. Store it there for a day or 2.

Open you solvent tank. This is a great opportunity to clean any debris that might have entered. Change out your prv. Pressure it up to 100psi. Check in your bath tub for leaks as it’s small. Put it on 100psi on the line. Let sit for 24 hours. If it’s moved off that line. Pressure it a little more than 100psi and bring it back to the tub. Grab a joint and just stare while
Smoking. Hopefully you can see a leak if any by the time your joint is done

11 Likes

I tried to open it yesterday and it wouldn’t budge from the gasket. Any suggestions on how to get it unstuck?

1 Like

I might have to use a bucket, my girlfriend won’t like a tank in our tub :yum::sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Are you talking about the tank lid after the clamps are off?

If so, get a dead blow mallet or a piece of wood and give the seal a good whack.

5 Likes

Will do :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:… What kind of prv would you recommend to replace it with.

1 Like

This.

5 Likes

I don’t know specifics unfortunately, but I do know you need a hard seat prv.

2 Likes

You can filter by hard or soft seat, and also by psi.

This stainless steel one is nice.

6 Likes

What are the PRV’s called where you can control the overflow output via hose?

2 Likes

I’m gonna go with this one

3 Likes

What do I want the PRV’s PSI to be rated to? 100PSI? Just double checking.

2 Likes

I’ll take that as a yes :stuck_out_tongue:

What kind of solvent you use? If it’s a blend, I’d go with 150.

You have a killa tank like me right?

Edit: if you’re using straight n-tane, 100 would be fine imo

2 Likes

I use whip it premium in my tank… 150psi?

2 Likes

Go with 150 imo

4 Likes

Go with the 150 if you’re using whip it fer sure.

3 Likes

I have an adjustable swagelock prv in some other companies housing. I can add a hose to release outside. my gaskets always fail first though.

1 Like

I want to use something of this for an off purpose, venting after 15 psi or so, but the discharge is whats valuable to me. Would be curious to see this, or if you can link the parts ill try and rig something up.

I ended up getting the 150 psi stainless off of Pneumatic Plus

2 Likes