Product Margins

I’m interested in what the margins look like from the grower to the eventual retail sale in the local dispensary on items like carts, oils, edibles etc.
WhenI visit the US I pay $20 for 20 Kiva gummies totallying 100mg THC and I’m just curious what kind of money people are making on products like that.
Koi selling a 1000mg CBD vape juice for $99.99 is insane to me for example.

Is anybody here willing to talk about what they sell their products for to dispensaries or directly to consumers and what it costs them to produce?

Crickets…seems to not be a popular topic of conversation around here :slight_smile:

It depends on a lot of factor… This business Is falling by producer side, and Is drive mainly by marketing…

1cart with 1g actually have a costo price of around 5 to 15 USD… Then everything else Is marketing and distribution…

The margin depend really on your cashflow and investments flow… can be huge or nothing, depending on how your are able to distribute and promoter It, cheaply…

Considering the situation I do t think many people wanna sit and think about their margins and then Stressing about their businesses tanking

I have finally secured a location to work on formulations so I will be making products for giveaways to medical staffers and anyone needing some love- this isn’t the time to be hyper focused on dollar signs.

4 Likes

Real cost starts with a lifetime of fighting subjugation due to your love for a plant that was discriminated against by two generations of profit seeking malicious narcissistic politicians. If you don’t start there, then you should sell Tupperware.

6 Likes

Damn and I thought I was Starting to get preachy…

1 Like

The larger the brand. The better the packaging. The more the end product margin has to be worth it’s costs.

A lot of those companies are running off old inventory and pricing (not reflecting isolate pricing today)

It depends if the grower is vertically integrated and has partners / ownership on the other licenses like processing. If not there goes HALF.

Retailers have to get a wholesale margin and MOQ to make the Product MSRP profitable for themselves.

Packaging / Distribution / Sales
Seed to sale tracking software
Licenses, property, buildings

You’re looking a hefty bill for a slice of your products full production from start to finish.

1 Like

At the end of the day, pocketed it’s like 5-10% in legal market. Black market maybe like 15% on a great day.

Thanks. I expected much better margins.

I still think it’s deplorable to sell 30ml of vape juice with 1gr of CBD for $100.

Prices of Isolate etc have dropped dramatically yet I feel retail prices have not changed. Is that true or am I just poorly informed?

Alot im sure is leftover products when the isolate was more, and as always if people will pay the price people will charge it

If you don’t see their numbers you can’t judge. I’ve personally worked with companies I know who waste half a mill to a mill annually in this game on single projects alone. You gotta keep your employees fed and if you’re taking loans out just to do that, lmk how the bankruptcy goes.

This isn’t a small mans game and it only was for maybe a handful of cheap license opportunities like the OLCC Michigan and Oklahoma (maybe some day Pennsylvania) where anyone with 5k can get a license and expand from rampant growth opportunity and vigorous competition.

Many states licenses were bought and sold before even applying. (Ohio, Texas)

If you’re in the cbd game without a license it’s a blessing or a curse. This industry isn’t for the faint of heart and there is a major reason I’ve stayed in auxiliary work instead of direct hands on until federal endorsements take place.

If you’re not an inventor or brand maker, you’re battling the margins every step of the way without something that differentiates you in this game.

3 Likes

it is NOT 15% with pens. With pens the margins are more like 50-100%. If you deal with secluded or rare markets, its 2-300%.

1 Like

Carts are what I’m most interested in. CBD carts since I’m in Europe.
Distillate/Isolate is much more expensive here still.
Mile High Labs quoted me 6500 Euros for 1kg of their Distillate.
I asked for a sample so they send me 1gr! LOL! I asked for 10gr and offered to pay for it even but was told it’s either 1gr for free or 100gr for 750 EU.

1 Like

Try thetetraguy.com

1 Like

Depends on if you are taking all costs into account. Also if you are selling wholesale or retail.

One thing I have noticed is that retail stores don’t really care about the value of the item for the end consumer they just care about the margins. They would much rather sell the bullshit cookie or select brands 1000mg Isolate tincture for $60-$80 and buy it for $30-$40 then sell yours for $20 that they bought for $10. Even if it is an identical product.

The same if you are selling directly to consumer. Price too low and customers get suspicious, that’s why Charlottes Webb still charges $200 for a 2,000mg tincture

Midnightoil said it best
Most of us have been working our ass off for the last 20 years to make this shit happen and most have no chance of starting a legal business. Remember the years of sleeping in the corner just so you could grow more? Either way you have to be efficient and make sure your cost per gram to cultivate is less than $1.50 in my opinion. What you can sell it for is another story

2 Likes

Idc where you are. Cbd carts are a scam
(This message totally based on opinion)

If you need import help from USA. My inbox may be able to assist.

1 Like

Thanks @qma

So are you talking about making and selling or like running a business and the cost involved etc …