Price of pounds in Cali right now?

1 Like

Damn well that makes perfect sense

So nothing “cannabis related” can be shipped there?

1 Like

Right? I’m wondering about the grocery store… It’s ridiculous.

2 Likes

I have lived in Klamath river, I heard they are cutting off the water trucks heading out that direction. We usually would have to go to the hydro store in Medford anyways… closest town was either yreka or Ashland

5 Likes

Seeing all the water trucks feels like a mad max prequel.

10 Likes

This is why T Boone Pickens got out of oil and Wind, and got into moving pipelines of water. Much more money in the end.

4 Likes

Has anyone seen units like these? I’ve seen videos of them using them in Puerto Rico after the hurricane, not the same ones but same idea.
Not sure if they would be feasible cost wise.
https://www.watergen.com/commercial/gen-l/

3 Likes

That is pretty cool, great dehumidifier.

1 Like

At CA ag rates (8-12 cents per kwh) it would cost 10-16 cents per gallon. So, spendy compared to a municipality. Most the guys up in the hills with water issues have limited power or run on generator, so that’s another hurdle.

2 Likes

Why do cannabis growers hate mulch?

People are gonna have to stop abusing limited resources and work more intelligently when it comes to water. Or go without.

6 Likes

No reason to single out cannabis growers, the entire state of CA, where this is currently a problem is ass backwards. They have no problem finding water for the almond trees in the central valley or the lettuce grown in the 120 degree heat. Both are pretty inefficient uses of water.

14 Likes

If your already running dehumidifiers this isn’t that much of a operation cost increase when the water is usable.

3 Likes

They would be super efficient here we’ve been over 90% humidity for the last couple weeks.

2 Likes

We’re on a cannabis forum. If you want to move over to a forum of almond growers I’ll be happy to admonish their unsustainable farming practices too. Diverting blame to another group, as to suggest, well if they’re doing it okay if I do it, is… at best not taking responsibility for your own actions.

At $5k a month, that’s 41,000 gallons being trucked in. I wonder how much money that grower is spending to keep the water they put on their land, there…

Water exists where people work to preserve it. If you’re not going to be a responsible steward of the land, I’ll happily call it out every time I see it.

2 Likes

I’m not defending anyone, I’m just pointing out that the recent green rush isn’t the reason massive aquifers are now damn near empty. That happened due to the overall idiocracy of large agriculture taking place in a desert over the last 100 or so years. There really isn’t a responsible way to irrigate any crop in CA, but I run a zero runoff facility, so I know exactly where all the water is.

In general the regulated cannabis cultivators in CA are more efficient in water usage than most other crops for 2 reasons: cannabis cultivators rarely get subsidized water rates like most larger agricultural operations and runoff is fairly tightly regulated and expensive to dispose of in most municipalities.

7 Likes

Just catch the water off your existing dehus and ac’s, run it through uv, account for the copper and or aluminum and run it.

You would really just need ac’s and dehus with with stainless coils to not have the metal issues.

4 Likes

The metal content in condensate water usually isn’t very high, even with aluminum coils. You could probably get away with just carbon filtration and sterilization. Stainless coils are $$$

1 Like

It usually isn’t an issue. I’ve seen it be an issue twice, both times on long water change interval recirculating systems. I just have to make a note so I don’t have someone screaming at me over a damaged crop.

1 Like

Fair enough. Sending water samples for metal analysis is fairly inexpensive so that’s an option for anyone who’s overly concerned about how much metal they’re getting in their condensate.

We use all of our condensate water to fill our cooling towers because of how low the EC is, it’s far more economical/requires less blow down than running city water. We generate enough that we can run some of our RO wastewater and still discharge below NPDES thresholds which is great. Then again, we’re not in a desert or growing outdoors :man_shrugging:

1 Like