Prescott Multi-Stage. Any tips?

Next week I’m going to be introduced to a Prescott Logic Technologies Multi-Stage Wiped film distillation unit. Anyone out there used one of these puppies? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance…

2 Likes

Lucky duck @CdpIchem have fun! I’m sure you’ll crush it right out the gate!

2 Likes

@brazillianchemist was almost a rep for them. Maybe he has a few tips

1 Like

I’m not seeing a diffusion pump here…not pulling 10-4 with a scroll pump…

https://www.prescottlogictechnologies.com/multistage

There’s a turbo upstream a bit I can see the assembly…

1 Like

The thing with the heat/cooling fins hanging off the T from the cold trap is a diffusion pump

3 Likes

Ah ha, I can see that now, thank you!

2 Likes

@brazillianchemist sent me this once upon a time he’s on a flight rn so he’s probably not going to respond for a day. Here’s his old unit hitting -4. You can see the diff pump better in this pic.

3 Likes

O snap! Ok cool that answers that for me. I thought it was a Nono to back a wet pump with a dry pump. I’m off to hook mine up together now. Thanks @NewLevelProcess I stand corrected.

1 Like

If one were to depressurize the system rapidly with the diff pump running it may vacate the pump and send the diff pump oil into the scroll, which could cause a need to rebuild whereas an oil pump would just take it into the head volume. The same type of system depressurization would kill a turbo pump though.

2 Likes

My Precision unit has a ball valve between the diffusion pump and the cold trap. I see this one does not. I can see where rapid vac release could cause problems. Great heads up.

1 Like

Oil vane pumps stop working right when diffusion oil gets in it. You have to do a full flush and wanting typically. New oil and all.

2 Likes

According to my research this unit is designed to to from diluted, winterized crude the solvent removal, decarb and two stage distillation. What I have is winterized, decarbed and de-solvented crude. Any way to bypass the solvent strip and decarb steps and go right to terp strip?

Bump! Where’s @Brazilianchemist !?!?

Lol I told him to look at this. He went to the other prescott thread. Ill call him up.

1 Like

Hey, I’m here.
I think there is a way to go from decarbed crude to distillation with out passing through solvent recovery and decarboxiation compartments.
Do you have the system already?

1 Like

The unit is at another facility. I Haven’t seen it yet. I have the manual. Apparently they have never run it, at least not with a skilled operator. I run a Precision CDU. Seems similar, all glass. The Prescott is obviously able to run considerably more material. I would expect the heat/temp parameters to be similar as well. I normally run 150C 1 x 10 -1 torr on terp strip and 160-165 c @ 7.5 x 10-4, 80c feed, 70c condenser for polish. This is THC by the way.

So, i always preferred single stages and don’t like this big set up on this prescott, because when everything is connected (different stages) you can only go as fast as the slowest stage is. I don’t know I’m been clear with my English. We can talk later if you want, about this.