Poisoning the farallon islands?!

Pretty wild, im not sure that’s gonna end up working so well.

1 Like

Californians are some of the stupidest people on this earth so this only makes sense

6 Likes

Its weird cuz that’s SF district they are usually the most hard-core environmentalists and now they are poisoning their own backyard. way to stand for something…

Wow :frowning:

At least they got rid of the straws…

1 Like

The rodents that survive are going to be immune to the rodenticide…what’s phase 2 going to be like?

Carpet bombing rats, monkeys hunting dogs, weird week for news…

2 Likes

Yeah I feel for those guys down there too I guarantee the fisherman are trippin farallon is probably the best fishing out of SF. At least I fish out of Humboldt bay so its not quite home but fuckkk that’s harsh. If this is a true poison with secondary kill potential shit is gonna go down.

1 Like

They are using this shit yall wtf are they thinking

• fish — LC50 for fish:
    ** trout (96 hours exposure) 0.04 ppm[15]
4 Likes

Wow this seems smart! Let’s poison the entire island to kill off the rampant mice population so we can save the rest of the animals on the island.

Won’t the poison kill those other animals?

Oh it’s next to the ocean too? Don’t worry that poison will just drain into the ocean with all the plastic.

Brilliant!

2 Likes

It seems… rather obvious… but hey
This is a science forum so

1 Like

This is how you get ants.

3 Likes

If it’s really an actual problem. Why not send thousands of spayed/neutered cats infected with toxoplasmosis? The parasite, once spread to the rodent population will insure that infected rodents become the primary prey for the cats.

7 Likes

Cats are way too effective and probably have as broad of a spectrum of targets as poisons do. This has definitely been attempted before in history

1 Like

Cats kill birds

1 Like

Snakes, then?

1 Like

Maybe? I know that the state of Hawaii has been airdropping brown tree snakes to deal with local rodent populations, but on the flipside the government of Guam has been airdropping poisoned mice to deal with the recently overestablished brown tree snake population… and so the cycle renews.

5 Likes

The King, the mice, and the napalm bomb.

Seriously anyone who has read the book knows we need to bring cheese to the island. Mice get fat and breed non-selectively until the birds can pick em off one by one like big fat fish in a barrel.

6 Likes

I know and birds are way cooler. toxoplasmosis Is a parasite that makes infected rodents attracted to cats.

Also people. After moving in with my SO and her cats, I definitely feel an unreasonable amount of attachment to those little shitheads and I’m 99% sure it’s the Toxo gondii

2 Likes

They should just make a bunch of wheels of death for the mice.

5 Likes