Plastic components in extraction equipment

Thanks for thoughtful, detailed, cogent, non-agendized answer, per usual, Cassin.

7 Likes

I would say gaskets are viton not poly.

Gaskets also do not experience abrasion and impact like ice water vessels do

Viton is a type of plastic. As far as whether the seals in an ice water vessel would face abrasion, you’d have to actually test it.

Tested it. As the original post stated I used trash cans.

You can tell from the scratches and marks and gouges all over it

To be 3a sanitary you need to analyze plastic between each use for wear and tear. Which would show up from having ice banged against it for hours.

Also viton is rubber not plastic

And rubbers are polymers… so???

2 Likes

A plastic is any synthetic polymer. Calling anything soft a rubber is not accepted terminology in plastics industry… source: I have an MS in polymer chemistry and worked for plastics labs for years…

One would call a soft polymer an “elastomer”: a type of plastic.

6 Likes

And as if calling something a rubber or a plastic has any bearing on whether little shreds of it are harmful. That needs to be determined on a case by case basis regardless.

5 Likes

What the hell are you using when making water hash that is causing degradation of 316? You should not have any corrosion or scraping. Food plants use the same agitated vats/tanks for 40 years with no issues…

The fact you’re trying to validate plastic over stainless for processing is silly. If you’re buying a new 500gal stainless tank for $2k, you’re buying the cheapest POS on the market and I would care to guess it’s not even pure stainless.

1 Like

You are right. I just knew it to be a flourocarbon rubber from the packaging

I remember when sambo creek DM’d me after deleting my comments asking abt material science questions they had no good answer for.

Quite sad they’re still using materials they know break down under the standard usage scenarios they are applying them under…

2 Likes

Did you read his post? This was not water hash. It was a different industry…

Did not read the entire thing as I was on my phone. My apologies.

Quite sadder some people rode that cannoli for and promoted that I line trash can for click clout.

I know they lurking here

Oh man. I wrote a whole post. Only to see that he hadn’t read my whole post.

-cough cough-

Nothing to see here. <3

2 Likes

It’s okay, I read it.

What did they say? Did you test it for microplastic or is this just an assumption?

Q: Chinese stainless?
A: water

Magi: can you school the board a bit about the difference between abraded plastic nano particles and leached plasticizers?

I don’t have the heart.

No one seems to wonder how do all those tires in America wear out.

3 Likes

Sure… some plastics are used in a native state where they are just 100% polymer – these can abrase into microparticles but generally won’t “dissolve” under most conditions, and even if they did dissolve, they can be filtered out easily owing to their very large molecular weight.

On the other hand a lot of plastics are mixed with small molecule plasticizers that can leach out and form solutions with water or solvents… if you ever bought Tygon or something similar and observe that it got hard after being used for solvent transport for a while, this is what happened. I will never use soft plastics as transfer parts for these reasons – clear PVC and the like will DEFINITELY leach plasticizer into your solvent and your final product. People use them persistently in our industry anyway and I think this is a terrible idea.

Most of the notion about plastic being endocrine disrupters etc, actually are about this later plasticized type, as the polymer itself is usually fairly biologically inert…

7 Likes