Piecing together a small SPD - what do you think?

Mine fits like that too. Wrap the probe in ptfe (really thick) and it’ll be fine, worked for me!

3 Likes

Thanks! Seems like it’ll do the trick. :grin:

1 Like

Seems I now have an angle issue :sweat:. Not sure what to do here…

1 Like

I’m thinking I fucked up ordering the angled neck and need to order this one instead?

Whoa! That’s super steep! I bet that flows like crazy if you can get it to fit with a flask.

Can you angle the flask back a little (holding the neck of the RBF in place using a stand clamp) and use a jack stand to hold your receiving flask? That’s probably not a good solution, but if it’s close enough it could work.

Haha, that’s what I figured when I ordered that head. I tried that and tried the side neck and that just angles the receiver further toward the mantle. I’m guessing this is why @goldleaf_scientific said to use the side neck… Just not an angled side neck.

Well good thing your glass is unused, can probably return to chemglass, yeah?

Really excited to see how that works out!

Hopefully! I just ordered the new flask, I’ll give them a call tomorrow and see about returning the other one. I’ll be sure to post my run in real time here. Hoping to start the run next week, but I said that last week before I ran into a few other snags that necessitated ordering more stuff. On the bright side, I just burned in my mantle and it seems to be working great. :grin: Thanks for the instructions @Cryo13.

1 Like

Not a problem! Glad its coming together for you!
Sucks about the head being to steep an angle

4 Likes

It looks like you have a 45° head , hard to fit found easiest is to replace the cow, 120° to 180° i prefer 75° head with the monocow, my current heads are 60° and work with monocow but angles are funny.

1 Like

Looks like this may be the style to match

2 Likes

I’d get that one but it has a barb instead of a GL-18 fitting. I got the GL-18 to KF-25 adapters, so they won’t work with that.

Today I went to test out my circulator pump with cold water and, just my luck, the damn thing starts rattling like it had gravel in it and not sucking any water. First time I plugged it in out of the box. :roll_eyes: So after getting a refund, I looked at it and it specifically states “max heat 35c”. Well I went online and found this pump below that’s meant to handle heat for a pretty fair price. Anyone have experience with these? I’m a bit concerned 40gpm is a bit much for my glass…

https://www.pumpproducts.com/grundfos-59896249-up15-10fr-rotated-flange-cast-iron-circulator-pump-1-25-115-volt.html

those are used in furnace home circulating systems 40 gpm is a lot. it probably has too much pressure for glass too.

4 Likes

My circulator got here today and I’ll probably try it out tonight. It was about $190 shipped and should be able to do 120C with avocado oil. I’ll let you know how it goes, but from my experience trying to get the sous vide setup to work with a submersible pump, I think a legit used lab circulator will be the way to go.

2 Likes

I just ordered this bad boy. Not the non-working model, but one that was tested and supposedly works. Should be here by next week.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MGW-Lauda-B-1-PID-Control-Heater-w-MGW-Lauda-C12-12L-Bath-Circulator/132946816814?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20190212102350%26meid%3Dd1ee58d5bdc64bceb21212634704d45f%26pid%3D100012%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D292953160637%26itm%3D132946816814&_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. I was at the plumbing supply store when I read that, so that saved me another headache for a return.

Gonna take a lot of cooling or heating fluid for 12l

3 Likes

I’m going to just use water for now. Top it off with pre-heated water as needed from evaporation. This is just going to be a temporary solution until I can afford a real lab chiller/heater after my first few runs.

4 Likes

My first run i used the water bath for my roto and a cloner pump.
Im sure you could use a sous vede and cloner pump, they are relatively cheap, moght not get you hot condenser tek but definitely will get you by
Pump was a ezclone mag 450

Ive read that the eco 633 and 3 something also work good in rather extreme situations

1 Like