Pest Remediation

So I am just getting to the point where I am ready to scale up my process. Located in humbolt so you can imagine that I am dealing with a list of pests. I have been using a 8000 ml funnel with magsil to remove. But this wont suffice for long term. It is inevitable that I scale up.I have an old CLS Stainless steal. it is 6 inch tube. and I ordered a 5 micron mush gasket. I have already put it to the test and it worked great for my post scrub carbon removal via silica. So my question is… CAN YOU REMOVE PESTS FROM STAINLESS AND HOW??

Hoping someone can give some friendly advice, Its much needed. Thank you all so much

Use solvent to prewash all parts, soak in alconox laboratory cleaner. Rinse the parts with RO water, let air dry.

This was the plan. I have alconox. Just wanted someones opinion. I have a problem with Bifenthrin. Its used for red ants, It keeps popping up, Seems like no matter how much i clean once in a while it pops up.:open_mouth:

1 Like

We had Bifenthrin haunt us for years. It has one of THE longest 1/2 lives of any currently available pesticide. Old school said “bomb between runs”. We used to keep the AC & vents running “in case the critters were in the vents”.

Apparently we contaminated EVERYTHING with this practice.

When we first tested hot, we had not used anything containing Bifenthrin in at least two years (contamination did not happen on my watch).

I did swabs of the walls, floors, and AC duct work. The ducts and and air handlers were the worst, but both the walls and floors showed detectable amounts.

While I was trying to nail this down, the lab I was working with said they had a customer who managed to BUY Bifenthrin contamination off craigslist! They traced their contamination to an AC unit that they purchased used. Rumor has it the previous owner had also figured out the source of their contamination and knowingly passed it on!

Even after tearing out all the panda film, washing the walls and floors, and paying to have the ductwork cleaned, we still had one room that was giving us problems. It was in the floor. I believe we had the floor sealed and solved it.

but the most effective thing we did was move the entire operation to a new (bigger) location.

Flowers tested clean. As did hydrocarbon extracts of flowers & trim. Extracts made with fan leaves (RSO) was where we saw problems.

Washing leaves in water per original “red oil” isolation gave clean product, but wasn’t worth the effort.

3 Likes

Yeah i think that we are going through the same thing. From my understanding there is a way to remove it ? reverse chromo. That is a @photonoir question. WE are changing everything this year because of all of the regulation. Im sure you are familiar. Hopefully everything is clean enough and i WONT have to battle bifenthren again. Its used for red ants :joy:

Reverse phase chromatography is awesome…but expensive.

A reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography method combined with matrix solid-phase dispersion extraction for the determination of teflubenzuron, lufenuron and bifenthrin residues in lyophilized coconut water
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2012.03.007

You were the next guy i was going to tag! thank you for chiming in. is it plausible on a production scale?

1 Like

If you have coin, Khajit has absorbent…

Reverse phase is certainly scalable but the entry cost is pretty rough. Using a system that loads, say, 100kg of C18 is gonna cost 6-figures to fill, but you can run that absorbent load many times.

We have a new tech rep starting work soon who has 25 years of chemical engineering and process development experience. I will be working with him to figure out ways to scale up most of what we talk about here.

4 Likes

Keep me posted please! I will give you a follow on insta. Looking to scale up immediately, money is not the concern.

1 Like