Passive faster than active?

Hey guys,
So I have been bouncing around this forum for while now and just made the transition from distillate to crc bho. I have a 6 inch system, with nitro, 6 inch crc and a cmep.
I have been doing pretty well with my runs and can run approximately 3500 grams of material in about 45 minutes. I have been reading that people are getting insane recover rates using passive systems. Up to 5-6lbs of recovery per a minute.
How is this possible? I’ve read about
maintaining a proper sealed system
Removing the recover tank from the ground
Dry ice slurry
Difference between cryo and Sub-Zero temps
And a rudimentary understanding of gas exchange laws.

I’m just having a hard time accumulating all the small steps that lead to this large recovery rate.

Ps… I know ethanol extraction pushes the largest volume. I’ve just had customers complain that they can tell a difference. Whether or not that’s true, sales drive my market.

2 Likes

Switch to passive for sure

3 Likes

Well they are getting insane recovery speeds like that because they have spent alot of money on there passive recovery system. I’m running a basic 3/8s hose and coil system and have a dhiity recirculating heater and I do 50lbs of solvent in 1 hour to 1.5 hours depending on conditions. Pumps are loud and cost money to rebuild and can hemp contaminate your gas. Which are the main reaso6o switched

4 Likes

+1 for passive, you’re not limited by the capacity of a recovery pump and with quality equipment, enough heating and cooling and some good insulation, you can achieve incredible efficiency. I insulated a large loop for a friend of mine and at the time it was recovering upwards of 6lb/min, god only knows how fast he can run it now.

7 Likes

@Killa12345 can help you make a fast passive system.

8 Likes

That all depends on the equipment you use. If you want to unload a railcar worth of butane You dont use passive. I have a 27cfm compressor.

3 Likes

thats fucking fast!

Im currently converting my setup to passive, I think Im going to use a separate 25lb warm tank of butane to pressurize and push solvent from the prechilled solvent tank to and through the material spool.

I wonder if there are reasons that others use nitrogen as there push gas that Im not seeing?

I cant wait for the silence!

2 Likes

you could just displace the liquid butane with a couple psi and move it passive. why use a pump ever?

2 Likes

Chillers capable of chilling a collection pot and solvent tank big enough for large runs is crazy expensive

6 Likes

hot butane push extracts undesirables; negating most of your pre chill.

6 Likes

I’ve thought about a “hot” tane push because n2 loitering in the system could possibly slow recovery. Can’t purge n2 from your sight glasses. That is, in my ocd fantasy engineering apparatus in my mind. But then I still would like n2 for clearing vapor from the material column before opening to discharge spent biomass.

2 Likes

I think the heat exchange would be extremely minimal. Ill beef up my injection coil if need be.

1 Like

Anyone know why I couldn’t have a lid built for my recovery tank that has one or more dry ice wells? I mean 1” or 1.5” closed bottom tube extending down to the bottom of the recovery tank from the lid, to drop dry ice into. -70 could recovery propane down to vacuum pressure. And how many wells could you fit on a 6” lid with ports gauge and glass. @Killa12345 ?

I dont see a reason why you couldnt.

I have something similar; a 36"x4" spool with a closed ended 34"x2" spool welded to the bottom of a 4"x2"cap reducer(the two inch tube is the DI reservoir) , Its got 2" ports on the top and bottom of opposite side on the 4" tube, its basically a big dewar style cold trap.

Nice. What do you use that for currently? I just bought a 6x24 double jacketed column then I read about crc now I’m like, what do I need all this for?

I just got it a couple days ago, its for this mainly. I had the spare pieces and a buddy is a welder.

I was interested in the crc but a few people have voiced there opinions that it slightly reduces over all quality/effect, thats enough to put me off.

Yes and then when its just vapor you going to wait for that to transfer passively too?:joy::joy:

1 Like

butane isn’t stupid, it knows where it doesn’t want to be.
it’ll leave that big hot railcar and head somewhere colder.

if you’re not foolishly pulling a vacuum with a piston and fighting that cold boil it’s easy.

3 Likes

Active uses dT and dP. You are really going to argue that using only dT is going to be faster?

4000 cu ft rail car after the liquid is drained, there would be approx 490L(280lbs) of butane gas left in the tanker.

Your 27cfm compressor would take 2.5h to scavenge 4000cuft tanker.
A passive setup to condense 6lbs/min could condense the 280lbs in 46 minutes.

4 Likes