Packing tubes

Any chance in seeing a picture of it? Can you use it to unpack the columns as well?

3 Likes

How does the 50% loss happen?

one can get 4 or 5 lbs in a 4"x48" column when you hand pack it.
typical loading I’ve seen in a sock is about 1/2 that.

4 Likes

That they don’t. I still smoosh 2k-2200kg in my 4x48 column with my socks. I abuse them, but they are cheap.

1 Like

Xtractordepot.com has column packers. For 3, 4, and 6"

1 Like

One can make there own for about $5.50

7 Likes

It puts the weed in the tube. That’s my packer. I have a different one already. I broke this one. I use the pole from xtractordepot.com because they had the dowel for 6" but I use the 4" and 4" columns more. I had a chunk of old bowling alley lanes buffered down and sanded all smooth. I can smoosh 2k+ in there easily. And pull out my sock still

4 Likes

And how come you don’t just use filter stacks? 20u 1-3u & .3u

I use 4x48 columns and nitro assist. I use column socks and they are very easily removed @Flapjack

2 Likes

Will, you need a hand? You can call me.

1 Like

packing the sock in the tube is not the way the kids here do it…

they pack the socks, then throw them in the dehume room for at least 24hrs to remove the excess water. it’s fast. but they’re only getting ~50% load compared to packing in the tube.

I might try giving them tubes to pack their socks in :wink:

question: do you then remove the sock and place it in another tube? if the socks are packed tight, they side out, but do they slide in

1 Like

What’s the point of the sock? I spent 750 bucks on socks from 710 snob they are garbage

4 Likes

if the socks are packed 50 at a time, and then dried appropriately, it makes loading and unloading a very fast operation, and keeps the “respirator required” activities out of the C1D1 space.

it also means the minions only have to clamp/unclamp one end of the column. so it apparently looks like a win to whomever set the work-flow up.

with a 50% decrease in loading, it does not look like a win to me…but it’s what I’m working with atm. if I can get loading closer to “hand packed” by providing tubes to pack the socks in, it might be. I doubt I can get this team to go back to hand packing tubes. even if it increased their through-put by 40%

3 Likes

Dang they would be fired with that attitude

1 Like

You use those metal ones that don’t even get to the edge of the column, but he swears it’s a 10lb column, right. Get ahold of azpressco and order socks from them. I’m going to ask them to make them longer and have a flare to go around the triclamp. I have multiple columns, so I can have one loaded before I’m done with one run. I sweep with nitro (gets the moisture out and pulls vac easier), and get the next one going. Do my dump and close off the column, vent it, open top pull out sock, then dismantle my filter stacks and clean up for the next run before I’m even setup for the next run.

@cyclopath spools are cheap get an extra one or two and have those loaded with material for the upcoming runs. Get more in there, rather than wasting twice as much time I just yank the sock out hand said minion column and shake the hose

2 Likes

You should use those tall metal ones as a vertical fire pit, stuff it in the ground a foot to hold it up. That ish would be tight. Josh could totally remarket those to have a use.

1 Like

I dont work for dr Josh if that’s what you mean haha

1 Like

Not dr Josh. Josh is “heady dabber”, aka 710snob

1 Like

Spools may be, but jacketed 6”x48” columns that bolt to my rack are not, and are also rather unwieldy.

Were it my op, there would be more cannabis in the tube.

It is not, and I pick my battles.

Swapping socks for custom baskets that allowed greater material compression without outgrowing the material columns they were destined for might fly…but bringing the dusty mess that is tube packing back into the blast room will not

2 Likes

Well, ya that’s not as easily remedied. I wonder if you can find a way to get more in there and still stuff in for a run. That’s obviously a different scenario than what I thought

Just to confirm, you’re packing into a sock that is already in your tube. And using the sock primarily as a fast and convenient method to get the biomass out. Not packing in a tube, then moving the sock?

Like I said, I pick my battles, but a 50% increase in biomass per run seems like low hanging fruit…so I’m going to have to go after it at some point

4 Likes