Oregon recriminalize hard drugs

I don’t think I could find a single person on the street who would tell me they think there’s “no difference” between pot and heroin, whether they went through DARE or not. And if they WON’T admit that, I guarantee they’re not the sort that voted for 110 either, as only some total teetotaler with no life experience could ever say something so foolish.

My, and many people’s, reasoning was quite different: that we know from decades of alcohol prohibition that it never decreased crime at all; it increased it. And furthermore, we knew that the government’s intent was never “stopping people from stealing catalytic converters”, for they “threw the baby out with the bathwater” and banned such totally harmless things as psilocybin along with their meth and heroin. Even today, meth is schedule 2! Not 1!

I’d happily make a trade. Put opioids and meth back on the banlist and take everything else off. How about that? Can we just do that and make anyone happy? Why should anyone be getting arrested for mushrooms or ecstasy just because a meth-head stole somthing? Yet that’s what the dialogue has been reduced to in Oregon, and on this very forum, and frankly hearing this kind of opinion from people who actually have weed felonies makes me sick from the hypocrisy.

3 Likes

I don’t mind admitting that this was how I was taught and I definitely believed this long into my 20’s.

And when I listen to prohibitionists - they don’t talk about being racist fucks or wanting to make sure we have enough slaves in our prisons or making space for pharmaceuticals instead of home grown goodness or anything like that.

They talk about people growing weed and selling weed like we are literally getting ready to fucking kill people with our addictive substances. They still do this. You think I’m kidding… but its true. Its sad, its frustrating. Its totally fucked up.

I’ll be on the Hill for cannabis lobby week - and so will prohibitionists, there to convince the same legislators I’ll be talking to that this is the devil’s lettuce damned to kill our kids, destroy their lives if they live, and create an environment of terribleness in your neighborhood.

And heck yeah - I’d love to see some drugs that really ARE that addictive and dangerous given the same treatment as our plant. But I also don’t want to see anyone going to prison for being a drug addict - because that’s been soooooo successful. x.X

And I definitely don’t see the maker’s of these fine medicines going to prison, even if I am seeing them paying big fines. Funny thing about those fines though, in total its just a couple years of profits and the drugs are all still being made and sold. And people are addicted to them and will need them or something else probably for the rest of time.

Such is life living under the War on Drugs. I wonder if they knew then how ineffective it would be - would they have done something different? I doubt it - they like spending our tax dollars on policing and prisons and getting all those sweet slaves to do their work for them. :frowning:

7 Likes

Yeah, and they didn’t vote for 110 either.

Again, I voted FOR 110, and i’m AGAINST this partial repeal of it. I don’t want 50k of the state funds going to pay for someone to sit in a box because they were caught with some meth. I live in Portland, and I still, despite every argument i’m hearing, stand proud that I voted for 110.

If they stole someone’s catalytic converter, then put them in prison for THAT, not for the meth they had on them. The police and DA want to pretend it’s impossible for them to investigate these actual crimes and that the only choice we have is to use possession as a proxy. It’s certainly easier to “stop and frisk” someone and find they had meth than it is to figure out which person stole someone’s car. But enabling police laziness is not high on my priority list.

My friend in Bend was murdered 8 months ago and the police have done absolutely zip to find the culprit, but they sure are drooling at the mouth to start arresting people for possession again.

But, since it seems like my position is a minority even on this forum, I offered a compromise – go ahead and put people in prison for meth and fentanyl (and watch your tax bill go up… and up…), and let me have my MDMA in peace…

11 Likes

Police priorities - and this issue spans a much wider area than just the Oregon state limits - have been fucked for a very long time, for longer than my entire life so far they have prioritized revenue over victims, which is why so many have a hard on for civil asset forfeiture while simultaneously downplaying their ability to do anything about rape/SA and property crime.

It isn’t that fuckin hard to figure out which toothless asshole is showing up at a scrapper with an F150 bed filled to the brim with sawn off catalytic converters. The only people who have that kind of quantity are salvage yard owners and thieves, and salvage yard owners can easily prove how they got them.

Scrappers in the last 5 years have been photocopying IDs around here, all it takes is a cop actually bothering to get off their dead asses and ask for those records. Spoiler alert, they usually don’t.

2 Likes

Welp ya gotta find a way to keep the cia santioned cartel from floating it through every port on the planet then administering a kustum mix d3pending on the current agenda. Fent is the cheapest and most worthless anesthetic . It was designed to be an alternative shortlived opiate by design from its inventor. Good intention turned malicious intent kinda like tesla vs the energy moguls . Control of power is a the drug of choice for old$

It’s awful as a recreational drug or for longer duration pain management (other than acute spikes in pain for very tolerant people), but it’s a very, very valuable tool for surgeries. Fentanyl is used all over the world in hospitals every day, and works exceptionally well for those purposes.

Now, do we need illicit fentanyl off the street? Sure thing. And should pharma have manufactured fentanyl lollipops and given their representatives sales based bonuses to push prescriptions? Fuck nah. But fentanyl is just another tool in the toolkit, and we’ll be using it for a long time coming.

2 Likes

Not directly about Oregon but this shows that even the right side of the aisle is beginning to come around

1 Like