Oil sugared even after being winterized

So I’ve been winterizing oil for carts for 2 year now, processed about 1000g+ of oil in small batches, but this is the first time I’ve had this happen.

I mixed 3-4 kinda of shatter/budder into 200 proof organic ethanol, freezer for 48 hours, 6 micron filter, freeze 48 more hours, .6 micron filter papers. Evaporated majority of alcohol around 150-160’f, pulled vac, everything was clear and looking good. This morning it looked good, opened the vacuum to check it, pulled vac again, raised my oven a few degrees Celsius. 12 hours later, go and check, part of the oil has become sugary. Not all of it, most of it is runny and clear, but one side had sugared up

Not sure if I messed up winterizing, maybe it needed a 3rd filter? Same process I’ve always followed, same temps, but this is the first time it’s sugared after being winterized. Maybe one of the strains sugars regardless? Maybe that’s why only part of the oil is sugary?

Side note, if this is normal, would a sugar consistency make the oil unsuitable for carts?

Heat lightly

2 Likes

Use less heat? Or lightly heat it up a bit more and it’ll dissolve?
Did I use too much heat? Is that why part sugared?

I’m using the same temps I always do

It looks to be THCA. If it’s going into carts you’ll want to separate the THCA from it or decarb it into THC.

1 Like

Decarbing seems to be doing the trick. Set the chamber to 125’c, actual oil temp is less, been in there for about 30 minutes, only a few specs of sugar left

1 Like

If u dont reach full decarb temps the sugar can melt and then recrystalize

1 Like

yeah, I’d have to agree with the others. looks like thc-a starting to crash. decarb and you’ll be fine. If you put into carts like this it may continue to crystallize and block the apertures in the cart.

3 Likes

A bic lighter and u can save a chunked cart…shhhhh. for urself of courze

1 Like