Oil filter on corken t190?

Most corken pumps i have seen on this site have a oil filter on the crankcase. I just bought a new t190 and it has a plate screwed on where i see most of these filters are. Do i need to a oil filter? And if so does anyone know the filter number?

Thank you,

Pictures? Include model #/name too.

1 Like

Its a Corken model t190 vapor recovery pump.

Ah, I have noticed the absence of the entire oil filter housing on the “new” E91 model which they are marketing directly toward the extraction industry.

My guess would be this is likely due to some type of “food grade” standard they are applying or trying to apply to the pump. The auto industry filters probably don’t make the cut so they just removed it. I think oil contamination is probably more of an issue with oil&gas applications.

I looks pretty clearly to me that no, you do not need a filter for this compressor.

1 Like

There ARE however some steps you should take if you intend using this critter to pull vacuum.

Otherwise you end up with crank case oil in your product…

30sec google did not locate the information, but it can be had by asking corken.

Edit: or just keep reading…

3 Likes

Manual for the D- and T-91 models. Appendix B - Specifications mentions a reversible oil pump. Though admittedly the lower crankcase design looks to be nearly identical to what’s pictured in the E91 manual

This appears to be the manual for the E91. I see nothing anywhere in the manual that suggests that the E91 is a pressure lubricated unit - if it’s just splash lubricated, there’s nowhere to put an oil filter unless you added an oil pump to the design. Same reason the little Honda and B&S motors don’t have oil filters, there’s no lubrication circuit to install one into.

Not sure exactly what the differences are between the T91 and T190 tho

2 Likes

Extraction Compressors in Vacuum Service_011923.pdf (831.9 KB)

You need to swap the packing around on the top packing and add a hardline to the outlet down to the second segment.

6 Likes

Thank you for the the info. Could you please explain a little bit more in depth what needs to be done to use this to pull vac. Thank you again.

read the pdf, its very clearly stated.

take the head off, piston off, cylinders off, flip the top packing around and then reassemble and add the hardline.

5 Likes

Thank you.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Hey @cyclopath the manual that came with my corken did not have g/f conversion in it and i missed his pdf link before i first responded to the post. That sure is a funny cartoon you posted. Thank you for your input it really helps. DFR

2 Likes

@thesk8nmidget you are the man, thanks for posting!

4 Likes

Yup that dude is what this site needs . Straight info that really helped me. :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

3 Likes

Ha it’s so funny to me to see that bulletin about switching the packings around. Years ago when Corken’s where still new on the scene I tried calling several different customer service reps to talk about this exact thing and none of them knew anything about it even though it’s in the service manuals.

I personally didn’t like the idea of pulling vac with the Corken even with the packings switched around properly.

It just didn’t seem worth the risk of possible contamination.

I also never found it necessary to pull into the vacuum range with my recovery pump.

When are you guys using it to pull a vacuum? On final recovery? Or at the start of a run?

I ran propane and I didn’t have a super high efficiency evaporator so there would still be a significant pool of liquid propane in the pot when the PSIG reached 0. I would just cut the compressor off, let some heat/pressure build up for a couple minutes and then recover back down to 0PSIG again and that was it.

1 Like

Yep. Working with folks who can read the fine manual and then get stuck in on solving the problem is an absolute joy.

Luna pointed us at that bulletin after swapping out the corken for an MVP.

The Corken got a rush rebuild when the MVP lost a diaphragm.

Our foyer has been a pump rebuild station for a bit…

3 Likes

I have emails from corken reps telling me that corken are to never to be used to pull vacuum then more emails from their techs saying it absolutely can and how to achieve that modification.

We use the solvent pumps to recover solvent from the material columns every run to ensure it’s safe to open and also get a bit more solvent back before starting another run.

It’s also used to recover residual solvent from our crc column. Or any vessel that we want to open up. That way we’re not sucking out the gas with a vacuum pump and sending it to atmosphere when we could recycle it back into the tanks.

2 Likes

Indeed, glad to have finally have had time to throw the mvp back together yesterday, so now our spare is ready to roll if the corken wants to take sick day.

Carnage pics from the corken before the modification and the MVP 150XL when I took the cover off to see the damage.

5 Likes