Offensive Terms

Some of us find the term “Kali or Cali” offensive. It was coined by gang-bangers and thugs. The state is screwed up enough by the politicians lets not denigrate it any furthur. In the spirit of civility there are rules against homophobia, foul language etc. there are many of us old school OG’s that find this reference to our state downright offensive and would like to see its use curtailed in the spirit of these forum rules.

1 Like

As a European what do you find correct
Name,names for California ?

I use Cali because it’s quicker to type than california. Is CA acceptable? Will that anger the Canadians?

1 Like

Not a European, Ca, Calif, California. It was pointed out to me by a friend, how ghetto the the term was & how it originated. I was in complete agreement.

1 Like

I dont think anybody here sees it as offensive I see people wearing these hats all the time that say cali

If it was offensive at one point, I think they embrace it now

Never seen those before. I think old age has a lot to do with it. Cranky old geezers stuck in another time and place.

1 Like

Cali is in my opinion Awesome! Its just another layer to the amazing marketing that the state has going for it. It has its own nickname. I heard it in rap music originally. I don’t know if that’s what you mean by “Gang Bangersand thugs” I don’t know brother I don’t want to hurt your feelings or offend you but I’m offended by your desire to take one of the words that I enjoy away and I’m sure that your offended that I’m offended. You see how it works. I guess what I’m trying to say is that freedom of speech may be dying in Cali but I feel a responsibility to keep it alive on the internet. What a funny place weed is legal but some words aren’t hahaha.

2 Likes

I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade so if it makes you happy have at it. Its all good. The post was done out of curiosity to see if others had similar thoughts. ( obviously not ) It did originate in rap lyrics and that was the reference to gangbangers and thugs. It has since found its way into the generalized vernacular of today’s society where it has its fans such as yourself. Enjoy brother.