(Off topic) can traces of clonidine be detected from inside a can?

So not really cannabis related. I am 99% sure my soon to be ex wife slipped my autistic son’s sleeping medication in my drink ( in a can of reds apple ale). There is a very clear white residue inside the can that looks very fishy. I also experienced the physical effects that I would expect from this medication. I really need to prove this somehow. Is this a test that can be easily detected? Thanx for any help

Drink it and check blood pressure. It should drop if it’s clonidine

2 Likes

This is wild.

3 Likes

If you really want to be brave drink it all and head to the emergency room tell them you think your drink may have been tampered with and ask them to run a tox panel on you. Do your best not to allow them to pump your stomach

2 Likes

idk how easily you can obtain the reagents or apparatus

Thin layer chromatography may even show that there is “something” in there if compared to normal cider

I hope it all works out for you

1 Like

What @chefrobert said would probably be the most realistic way to prove it, strange situation. Good luck, life goes on

2 Likes

i never said my advice was rational. Neither is the situation, so…

2 Likes

Very wild for sure :neutral_face:

1 Like

your response seems rational to me…

bromophenol blue is easy. a Uv/Vis spectrophotometer can be found in most biology departments (quantitating DNA). or acquired used on eBay.

as for determination based on residue in an empty can (OP listed symptoms, I’m guessing they drank the whole can), clonodine is water soluble, so it’s probably not the active ingredient that left a residue on the can…so the probability that a DIY assay is gonna detect it seems low to me.

@Hempgrow: it may take some work on the phone or via email, but you should be able to track down an analytical lab that can solve this for $300 or so.

where are you located?

3 Likes

entirely fair

1 Like

Yikes, I hope you are able to work the situation out in a way that benefits your son

5 Likes

I am in Michigan. Thanks all for the help

1 Like

If you can see residue that is not traces my friend. That’s a whole sample. Don’t mess with it. Preserve the container. Wait to decide on your next course of action if you’re not confident you can ID it accurately yourself. I mean, even if you do some home test you won’t know for sure since there will always be some level of uncertainty. And if this relationship is as fucked up as it sounds you’ll need them caught red handed and verified by a lab for you to have proper closure, whether that is legal or personal is not my business.

5 Likes

Clear the area of sensitive material and personel. Push record in your pocket. Present evidence. You should know before you’re done presenting. Friends somewhere nearby.

Edit. I hope your kids ok bud

2 Likes

that is some scary shit!
I wouldn’t consume anything that you did not prepare yourself.

2 Likes

I would take the can somewhere before you tamper with it too much.

1 Like

Oh no, where’d he go? :confused:

2 Likes

Hey thanks for all the help. To be honest I feel absolutely crazy and I didn’t mean to quite post this detail but things have gotten bad. My mind has gone a bit sideways

1 Like

1 Like

Have you cut open a “non tampered” one as well?

1 Like