Odor detection to judge presence of odors in cannabis

With some electronic parts and a few hundred dollars a device can be fashioned to pick up and analyze odors. If this can be tuned into cannabis then for relatively cheap we now have a device to monitor terpene content via odor as well as a littany of other compounds detectable by smell. This can take the human equation out of the loop and provide a more stable measure of the odor of the shatter. Likely this can be dialed in fir residual solvant too.

There are spendy units meant for medical diagnosis but I chose the least expensive DIY unit just to test the concept. Thoughts?
would it be an advantage to have electronic sniffers employed to test quality? Imagine being able to detect terpene content without sophisticated lab gear. Entrepenuers have an opportunity here who is able to bring this to market.

https://www.bgr.in/news/new-smartphone-app-can-act-as-electronic-nose-to-detect-your-scent/

4 Likes

trained drug sniffing dogs…

“Dude! Fido says this shit is fire!”

2 Likes

If they can figure out how to send a sample of the smell through the internet or phone I would buy…
Interesting concept i like where your going with it, you could treat it similar to potency and residual testing, pre calibrate it with 100% of the known smells then have it analyze the sample for trace amounts…
The terpenes would be cool also,
Question is how accurate is it, could it detect any presence of chemicals and terpenes or is it limited to how much is present in abundance?

2 Likes

I am gonna go for it. My last fling at useful inventions lol.

This could indeed be used to transmit info. Just ask to see a flavor profile and there are then tangable numbers. Also for purging I wonder if the technology could be adapter there too?

2 Likes

Would save time doing r&d on purging methods, for me testing is required but i gotta wait a week for results so its hard to try new ideas not knowing for sure…

1 Like

Wouldn’t work. Fragrances partition into the gas phase based on their affinity for the matrix (solid or liquid phase), and due to differences in the concentration(s) of compounds in the matrix, that means gases (fragrances) will partition into the vapor phase at different rates. Can’t calibrate for that.

It’s the same reason that butane- despite being a gas at room temperature- refuses to leave a sample of shatter without heating and vacuum. If it were on a bit of bud, it would volatilize immediately. And because concentrates will vary based on their composition, there won’t be one set rate at which the fragrances will leave.

1 Like

Interesting. What if the sensor was enclosed and sealed into a chamber with a controlled temp and pressure and prior to a sample run a,protocol of nitrogen backfill was used? These units are hella spendy and even those have real problems like you mention.

Heck if we market the thing as an elitist instrument to ensure perfection while vaping then it wouldn’t even matter if it worked, eh? We could get rich! I better handle the marketing though. :nerd_face:

1 Like