Odor control for greenhouse or indoor grows? Carbon scrubber alternatives

Well exhausting dirty air is illegal in my neck of the woods nowadays and exhausting dirty air back in the days was the easiest way to get roped off. So I can’t say I see your point.

1 Like

ya it looks like UV-c

• The Big Blues use a germicidal UV-C lamp that produces the most effective odor killing ozone that ultraviolet technology has to offer.
  • UV lamps continue to produce ozone for up to 14 to 18 months of continuous use. After that the light is on, but ozone levels are below optimal. Bulb replacement is easily accomplished by anyone who can change a light bulb! Simply remove the lamp from its snap clips, separate the bulb from its’ power plug. Reverse the order for the installation of a new bulb. No need to return the Big Blue to the manufacturer for bulb replacement.
2 Likes

this is merely for odor control. the carbon scrubber dance is getting old and it doesnt eliminate the smell. my last curing/drying round you could smell the bud pulling into my driveway. not the best opsec for rippers out here in one of the highest opioid abusing areas there are

3 Likes

Uvc does not kill odors. It ONLY disrupts the DNA strand of living things (including US humans). I’m pretty versed in uvc, as I make custom filter boxes for growers. Patent pending :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You only option for odor controll is either a carbon scrubber, or ozone gens. Ona gel just masks it.

I did a 60lb pull for a client 3 weeks ago. We ran 3x 5000g ozone gens st various spots in his building. There was zero smell from his building. We are at 7 mile road. 1 mile in detroit. You DO NOT want those crackheads smelling herb, they will break in and steal everything.

3 Likes

hrm i wonder what mechanisms the big blues are using for ozone generation.

1 Like

The uvonair is a ozone generator. That’s why you want to only exhaust it not keep in inside your home or warehouse.

1 Like

Lol

My custom filter boxes are 50.00 less than that.

They DO make uvc/ozone generating bulbs

1 Like

Uvonair® odor eliminators generate ozone, one of nature’s most effective oxidizing agents! Ozone safely alters the molecular structure of offensive micro-organisms, to eliminate odors.

From the website. :point_up_2:
You want the CD unit which stands for Coronal Discharge.

2 Likes

How many sqft does your unit work on?

ya i think the UV ones apparently produce less but i was thinking maybe they were more reliable.

Commercial Ozone Production from UV Light

The heart of every Ozone System is the Ozone Generator. Ozone (O3) is created from Oxygen (O2) in nature and also in Ozone Generators for commercial or industrial applications. However, Ozone (O3) quickly reverts back to molecular Oxygen (O2). Ozone cannot be stored due to a short half-life and must be produced on-site and on-demand. Therefore, the Ozone Generator is the most important component of any successful Ozone System.

Ozone can be produced commercially from an Ozone Generator using UV light. Ozone is produced from UV light wavelengths between 100 and 240 nm. A shortwave, low pressure UV lamp can be used for this purpose. These lamps will produce UV light with two peaks in the UV light band, one at 254 nm, and another at 185 nm. The 185 nm light is what is referred to as an “ozone producing” lamp, while the 254 nm light is referred to as a “germicidal” lamp.

Note: the 254 nm UV light is also used to break down ozone in air or water as UV light above 240 nm will photolyze ozone back to oxygen.

1 Like

Sorry but I have been using uvonair for years now. I to got tired of the carbon dream that really didn’t work so well.

12x24 8 lights right now, soon to be 24x24 16 lights

second room is about 12x30 12 lights

1 Like

it sounds like exactly what i need. my big room exhausts about 1200 cfm now to keep cool about a minute every 5 minutes

UV lights are for HVAC units so you can recirculate the air in your home and breath it. It is not safe to breath Ozone. Its known to cause cancer.

2 Likes

My set up is a 7500 sqft warehouse. In the warehouse have 7 rooms. Room #1 is Mom / veg room with 2 1kw DE’s. Rooms 2 and 3 are both veg room with 6 1kw DE’s. Rooms 4,5,6 and 7 are flower rooms with 12 1kw DE’s each. All rooms are sealed and I have two 12" uvonairs hung from the rafters with Max fans on them. They run 24/7 and exhaust outside. I have a negative pressure in the warehouse so no smell ever gets out.

I use a commercial misting pump and an odor oxidizer. If you have ever been to a landfill and see misting that’s what they are using.

The oxidizer needs time to react to the offensive air. Simple calculations can size your system, I know of several larger greenhouse grows in the Ventura area that use the same method.

Another option is a biofilter, swine production has used these for years with excellent results.

4 Likes

my rooms are not sealed. they are direct exhausting the heat from the DE’s i wonder how this would effect the equation. I have about 15’ of ducting from the 12" 1700cfm PHAT fan direct exhausting the room on a T-stat

1 Like

Please specify uvC
Dont throw all UV in the same catagory. I utilize uva/b in my grow with my cmh lighting. Uvc is far different than uva/b. Then theres far uvc

2 Likes

That’s the beauty of ozone generators. They are changing the charge of the ions in the air and elimination the odor.

1 Like