Odd Distillate - Pics

I recently came on with my current employer and have been making a mad dash to right the lab and redo a lot of their processes/SOP’s, and get the right gear in place. I can not share their info but I have a question and set of pictures I would love to get the communities ideas on.

I found the following distillates in storage with some odd coloring and possible chlorophyll left behind post EtOH extraction. I am guessing there are lipids lingering as well due to their blue/green hue the oils have when shining a light on them. I will be destroying them, because they should not be shared with the public or any patients for that matter.

However before I do so I thought I could start an interesting conversation based on the communities experience and wisdom as to what these jars might contain. I hope I never see this again and thank you all for sharing ahead of time!

1 Like

The last pic resembels Distillate i pull from outdoor biomass
Standing for 4 weeks or more
In My case iT s a more fluid oil that floats on top of the rest i asume iT has to do with the seeds in biomass left after deseeding and forms a
Azeotrope When. distilling

Looks like tails to me

1 Like

@Roguelab my bets are on Azeotropic reactions as well, looks like normal tails runs too, however its hard to say without knowing what the hell they were doing before, thanks for sharing! Greenhouse grown btws.

1 Like

Try degumming or at least a steam sparge and you’ll most likely be free of oxidized phosphotides that form that red ring that “floats” to the surface.

A Steam sparge ??
Elaborate on his tech Please
:pray::pray::pray:

1 Like

Steam Genny hooked up to the bf. A sparge or gas scrubing tube looks like a thermometer well but has a bunch of holes or a frit, you know like a “diffuser downstem”. Another way, add DI H20 heat and stir adding h2o till the distillation product no longer displays “oil like” bubbles out of the condenser. It also is magic for removing any light residuals. The idea is that the steam will break down the phosphotides into by products that are water soluble. However, acid or enzymatic degumming are more effective. Or the ol sep funnel works with a nice non polar and salt water. As with acid degumming you must watch your pH with care. I like to steam wash post sep funnel to help rebalance acidity.

4 Likes

redissolve and redistil with clay/carbon and it can be pretty again

1 Like

Heads I win tails you lose :joy::joy::joy: