Nitrogen vapors assist***update need HELP***

Thats a sign you need to lose the hinged clamps or get new lock washers. Those compressable washers loose there elasticity after a while…they are only .20 to replace.

6 Likes

Im talking about the hp clamps single dont have nuts cmon now @Killa12345 im already upgrading to those today ima email u

4 Likes

I had my filter leak too and yea i was guilty of using single hinge but i was still in experimental mode…definetly need hp

3 Likes

i dont know about the hidged clamps at all…sorry i thought those had a washer too. the first time i had one in my hand actually was at @bg305 farm 2 weeks ago. Ive never purchased one. The cost difference in real life is only 30%.

Like 10 years ago…over on Icmag…people would say water and moisture can leak in the hindged part because of the lack of even pressure…

Im sure its just some old wise tale but ive never wanted to purposly put moisture in my oil so i stayed away for the $6

4 Likes

I have the viton gaskets with a lip on my collection because that 12" fat whore is hard to seat a gasket on. Otherwise I don’t use em

6 Likes

yeah…thats a good idea for the big ones cause your right…even my 10" inch is a super pain in the ass…add sticky oil into the mix and its always a battle.

4 Likes

Huge pain when you have to lift your collection pot up and clamp it

5 Likes

word man I can’t really understand these gaskets with the shallow V ridge on bottom.

I literally haven’t replaced a single FKM gasket i’ve had for 3 years and they are still in great shape.

I’ll take your recommendation and replace all my lock washers - some preventative maintenance will probably keep my shed roof on a bit longer.

and yeah bro I would definitely suggest picking up a couple hundred bucks of unistrut to put your shit to the wall, swapping and sliding columns with no tools

thanks to @Dred_pirate for his inspiration n how his rig was setup, this was also my first time running passive, with only a chilled coil we hit 1lb/min. going to take the trs’s out to a field and beat the fuck out of them

8 Likes

People were close looping in 09? When did this all start. Cls that is

1 Like

Where does the chilled coil go?

Passive is king.

6 Likes

I know foaf started posting stuff around 06 with his pressure pot collection cls. That was the first time I remember someone posting about it. The tamisium came around 07. Then greywolf started posting the mk1 and 2 and the mini terp around 08.

I can’t recall anyone doing before foaf. Please correct me if I’m wrong with this timeline as my brain is pretty burnt.

4 Likes

That’s cool to know. I thought this all came to be much later than that

This is about the beginning of the tech we now love … Ya gotta know where you came from before you know where your going…

He would go on and mock up the first CLS right after this.

This is the first time i remember reading about CLS too.

8 Likes

Mind thoroughly blown :exploding_head:

1 Like

Are you useng a torque wrench? I have used lots of buna seals like that in the past, is there a nick in the sealing surface or a peice of plant material that was on the sealing surface? Over torque and under torque are both bad practices. Typically I will take a 12" buna to 38 inch lbs. large clamps take a bit to settle, torque them once then re torque after your pressure test.

3 Likes

I remember a pressure cooker and a co2 tank being used for a early passive like you mentioned, thats somewhere in ic mag too. You may have seen it?

3 Likes

Big clamps, like on my 12 or 10, I’ll tap the center of the clamp to help it seat better. Pressing it in place easier, instead of it being pulled in by the sides.

4 Likes

5 Likes

I’m confused about something.

Why exactly do people use nitrogen for vapor assisting over a warm solvent tank? Does it have to do with the specifics of using passive recovery somehow?

I have read @cal.bee.bizzy 's response to Xersist’s question on the subject above and it’s just not making sense.

The reasons Cal states for using nitrogen over warm vapor are that the pressure coming from a warm tank is inconsistent, the tank requires a heating source and the warm vapor increases the temp of the cold solvent meant for injection.

I have been using a warm tank to pressure assist for years on my active recovery setup. A good heat mat and throttling of the pressure assist valve easily take care of the first two issues and I have never experienced any undue warming of my solvent injection temperature (I use a pre-injection cooler and am consistently at -40C). The only real downside I have experienced is that the main solvent tank must have enough capacity to hold the extra solvent that will build up from pressure assisting or it needs to be periodically removed which is very easy and can be done while maintaining a completely closed system.

If you contrast this with the headaches of using N2 you can start to understand my confusion. Here are my perceived negatives about using nitrogen assist:

1. Because nitrogen is, for our intents and purposes, incondensable it must be burped from the system or it will greatly impede recovery.

IMO, this is defeating the purpose of why we use closed loop systems in the first place and creates a huge potential danger. When you vent that nitrogen vapor and you hit 0PSI with the vent open, atmospheric oxygen has time to enter the system and create an explosion risk. I have heard to combat this, some people are not only chilling the solvent and venting to 0PSI but then they are using a diaphragm pump to pull a weak (26inHG) vac on the chilled solvent to be sure there is no atmosphere. This practice just seems irresponsible and I wonder why anyone would do this if warm vapor was an option.

1. In order to burp the nitrogen, all solvent must be chilled to below its BP.

Having to chill the collection pot and burp the N2 before recovery sounds like a gigantic headache. Does this mean every time you want to inject a new column you need to re-chill the collection pot? What if you have multiple columns and want to recover and inject at the same time?

None of these issues exist when using warm solvent for pressure assist. Nitrogen just seems like more of a headache than it’s worth and it defeats the purpose of a closed system.

Like I said, I run active so my system can deal with positive pressures on the recovery side with no issues so I’m wondering if this something that is specific to passive recovery. I could see where the warming of the solvent tank and column from the warm vapor assist could cause issues with solvent flow on passive.

2 Likes