New cart maker and need help with equipment

You should never use jars. They are not meant to experience heat like that. They will crack/break and you will cry. Buy a beaker set on amazon. It’s like $30. Pyrex is best, borosilicate (I think I spelled that right) is acceptable.

Even the Pyrex media bottles are not 100% safe to use. If they have a hairline crack it’s much harder to see.

This photo was sent to me by a guy I was coaching a bit.

1 Like

You’ll be fine up to 165f your oil will start to darken above that.

Thank you. I might buy a pyrex dish to use for mixing. I will look at some good pyrex beakers as well.

Gonna buy these here

https://www.amazon.com/SEOH-Beaker-Borosilicate-Glass-Graduated/dp/B00AU6XXLM/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=10ml+pyrex+beaker&qid=1605971121&sprefix=10mL+pyre&sr=8-4

Or the other ones that are $2 more. The price seems kinda to low to be true.

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/Pyrex-1000-10CNEa-Griffin-Beaker-Glass/dp/B003TVF9WQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=10ml+pyrex+beaker&qid=1605971121&sprefix=10mL+pyre&sr=8-3

This one here is $2 more.

1 Like

so I got that hotplate today, and you ever had an issue with it not heating up.

Edit: dont be dumb like me and think u don’t need the probe touching the hotplate to read the hotplate temp

they take a while but it should get hot…set it really high to see If climbs faster

1 Like

I like to microwave my d9 in short bursts, them homogenize it once up to 160f. Quick and easy.

Edit: sorry of this is a d8 thread

when u place ur vial on it does, it drop in temp (heat from hot plate transferring to vial)

and if it does do you increase it, until the hotplate temp is at 200 again?

I use a cheap ass IR gun to make sure I’m in range

3 Likes

What are you using to homogenize for small test batches? I’m looking for something that’ll produce more accurate results over a mag stirrer but can’t use something as large as the x1000D homogenizer for batches that small.

maybe run it slow?

i have a cheap homogenizer w/ a small 10mm wide cutter head that I use w/ the small 50ml beakers. I use about 25ml of disty so the glass is .5 full. I find that running it slow, 1-2K RPM, keeps the bubbles out as well as spraying a little bit of argon (slowly, don’t blow the oil out - def has happened). Once i put it in my cart farmer i backfill w/ Argon again and push em out.

Adjustable High Speed Emulsifying Homogenizer Laboratory Dispenser 220V 300W | eBay

1 Like

Thanks I’ll give that a try when I get a chance.
What do you use as your argon source? I’ve seen the wine preserver mentioned a few times.

1 Like

yup, used the tip by @ky_cbd Bloxygen

2 Likes

Hell yeah thank you!

1 Like