Naixin (Exclusive Factory for AVD) under criminal investigation in China

The Naixin Factory in Fuyong (Shenzhen) is the target of a criminal investigation in China.

Attached, is an official letter “in Mandarin” that outlines the criminal complaints made by AVID SZ Technologies, a Shenzhen-based consulting and management firm that oversaw design & engineering, in addition to implementation and management of quality controls.

Translated In English

BY EXPRESS MAIL and EMAIL

Frank Zhao
2nd Floor, Xiezhi Factory,
Building 48, Dayangtian Industrial Zone,
Xinqiao Street, Baoan District, Shenzhen
Shenzhen Naixin Technology Co.

10/20/2022

Subject: Demand Letter

Dear Mr. ZHAO YU:

Duan & Duan Law Firm Beijing Office (the “Firm”) has been engaged to represent AVID
Technology (SZ) Limited (the “Client” or AVID”) over a dispute arising out of a series of actions being taken by you, Naixin (as defined below), against AVID and its consultant, Mr. Jonathan Carfield (“Mr. Carfield”). We issue this letter to you for the purpose of reminding you about serious legal consequences.

1 You are the legal representative of Shenzhen Naixin Technology Co., Limited (“Naixin”).
From July 2021 to early October 2021, pursuant to a business arrangement between

Naixin and AVID, AVID and Mr. Carfield had independent offices in Naixin’s factory
located on the second floor of Xiezhi Factory, Building 48, Dayangtian Industrial Zone,
Xinqiao Street, Baoan District, Shenzhen.

2 On the day of October 7, 2021, without a prior notification, Naixin suddenly prohibited AVID employees from entering the above-mentioned office premises. The Client believes that Naixin kept Mr. Carfield’s laptop and has not returned to him as of today. The laptop was purchased by Mr. Carfield in the amount of RMB 14,332 with the serial number
005208604266 (the “Laptop”).

3 Recently, the client noticed that by accessing the Laptop, you have disclosed to third
parties of a significant amount of important data and confidential information which are the
sole properties of AVID and Mr. Jonathan. This has been verified by an independent third-
party professional firm (the Third Party Firm) engaged by AVID.

4 The Firm reasonably believes that your actions above have violated relevant provisions
under Articles 270, 252 and 285 of the Criminal Law of the People’s Republic of China (the Criminal Law):

4.1 Mr. Carfield’s property rights have been violated, and your actions have met
standards of the Crime of Embezzlement. On October 7, 2021, Naixin prohibited the
Client from entering the office area to retrieve the items, and on October 13, 2021, the Client specifically requested to return the Laptop. Naixin denied this and have not returned it until today. You have been taking possession of someone else’s valuable property, without permission. This constitutes Crime of Embezzlement under Article 270 of the Criminal Law.

4.2 You are suspected of violating Mr. Carfield’s right to freedom of correspondence and,
at the same time, of the Crime of Illegally Obtaining Data of Computer Information System.

4.2.1 Based on an investigation report from the Third Party Firm, you have repeatedly
violated Mr. Carfield’s freedom of correspondence and personal privacy since April 15, 2022. You have been accessing the Laptop without permission, by actions, including, but not limited to frequently operating Mr. Carfield’s private cloud account, logging into Mr. Carfield’s work and private email accounts, downloading large amounts of email correspondence and files, potentially hacking into the AVID’s cloud project management system and exporting a large
amount of data. We have reason believe that these actions constitute Crime of
Infringement upon the Right to Freedom of Correspondence according to Article 252 of the Criminal Law.

4.2.2 Furthermore, your actions are seriously in violation of related laws governing
safety operation of computer, i.e. intruding into a computer information system to obtain confidential data stored, processed or transmitted in the computer information system, which constitutes Crime of Illegally Obtaining Data of Computer Information System pursuant to Article 285 of the Criminal Law.

5 You have disclosed a large amount of important business information about AVID and Mr.
Carfield. The act constitutes unfair competition and disrupts the corresponding market order. AVID is entitled to claim compensation from you and Naixin for its business losses.

5.1 You improperly used the Laptop to download a large number of emails, shared and
disclosed important data and information to AVID’s business competitors.

5.2 According to the evidence shown by the Client to the Firm, the contents disclosed
include, but not limited to, patent applications, business contracts, business strategies, confidential letters with law firms and other valuable information relevant to the Client’s company operations. This has seriously damaged the business interests of the Client and constitutes unfair competition.

6 Please be noted that you have made a cross-border transfer of such information to the
judicial authorities of a foreign country (United States of America) without obtaining related approvals of the relevant Chinese authorities. Such acts are inappropriate under Articles 283 and 284 of the PRC Civil Procedure Law, Articles 32 and 36 of the PRC Data Security Law, and the PRC provisions of the international judicial assistance in civil and commercial matters in accordance with the Hague Convention on Service of Documents and the Hague Convention on the Taking of Evidence. AVID reserves the right to report your actions to the
relevant authorities.

7 Accordingly, on behalf of AVID and its consultant, we solemnly request the following from
you and Naixin:

1. Immediately CEASE AND DESIST the above-mentioned infringing acts.
  2. Return the Laptop immediately.
  3. Permanently delete all disclosed shared data, files, emails, etc.
  4. Take active remedial measures for damages already incurred and expected to be
    incurred.

8 AVID has authorized the Firm and the Third Party Firm to collect and review relevant
evidence. The Firm will take all possible actions, including but not limited to civil and
criminal procedures under Chinese laws and regulations, to protect the lawful rights of the
Client and pursue the infringer for the violation.

Please contact us immediately if you have any questions regarding this letter.

Very truly yours,

Duan & Duan Law Firm Beijing Office

Jack Ding
Partner
October 20, 2022上海段和段(北京)律师事务所律师函_赵雨.pdf (916.1 KB)

3 Likes

I don’t think anyone here cares…

4 Likes

This could def hurt AVD supply chain

3 Likes

I mean it is interesting that a Chinese company is seeking legal recourse for a company that stole their property and IP and is committing espionage against them. Gotta love that sweet irony. Wonder how many handjobs it’ll take to get the laptop back? :thinking:

7 Likes

I’m so sorry :rofl: @AVID but isn’t that just what the Chinese are known for? Kinda like accusing a fish for living in water

4 Likes

I was gonna say this sounds like china.

Never going there lol.

3 Likes

It is. Fortunately, China has made a lot of changes to their legal policies that are more consistent with the U.S. system.

What’s crazy about this specific incident is the hacking was coordinated by a MAJOR U.S. law firm that represents Next Level Ventures (DBA: AVD) in North America.

The IP address to Denton’s (supposedly the world’s largest law firm) was discovered in our forensic analysis of unauthorized access to our systems, which seems to lead to potential participation in the illegal breach, which is highly criminal in the United States.

2 Likes

That’s a very bold claim to make in a public forum. Especially if your only evidence is an IP address.

There’s gonna be lots of :popcorn: material to come from this, methinks.

7 Likes

China is by far the world’s biggest thief. Your whole economy depends on theft of IP. China has some really wonderful people but it still doesn’t change the fact it’s a piece of shit country with piece of shit government that’s completely evil. Personally I wouldn’t care if other places in the world steal every little bit of anything china has (probably not a whole lot of IP that actually belongs to china as china hasn’t had an original thought worth stealing since the invention of gunpowder) just so you can get a little bit of taste of what you’ve been doing to the rest of the world for the last few decades. So get the fuck out of here with your bullshit, no one gives a fuck.

2 Likes

The ip stolen, and the person you are speaking with, is American

well, you do. but you’re a nobody so that’s at least consistent

You’re a fucking moron that was laughing at the death of the chemist David and the murder of 6 million jews in the Holocaust. You’re a piece of shit and we’ve already proven that in the past.

1 Like

https://Ecig.cn did just get going. China aint playing anymore for sure.

Hackers. Lawfirms. Regulations. Oooh my! :rofl:

If the IP stolen is from an american, by another american and china is not involved in a theft then my previous comment was misdirected in this specific case but it’s still valid for just about everything else. I think by now it’s been obvious to everyone what I think of chinese business practices and the CCP.

If what you say is true and I misunderstood, I apologize to the OP about misdirecting the conversation with my comments.

1 Like

I definitely imagine chinese vaporizer manufacturers are feeling the new hard waves that do look US inspired.

1 Like

that is a pretty accurate synopsis of the current events

2 Likes

The IP that was hacked and stolen was owned by an American, who has been in cannabis since 2014 from Seattle, WA - moved to China to make a better vape cartridge for cannabis in 2018.

He is the founder of AVD. The Chinese factory that he helped create and manage stole his laptop, hacked his emails, and stole sensitive information when he moved his manufacturing to a different factory.

He no longer designs or manufactures for the AVD brand exclusively and consults several leading brand of vape carts and manufactures in China.

The old factory and the US-based distributor for AVD are the ones involved in the hacking and theft of materials. This was in an effort to steal his work and avoid paying him.

He now consults for our brand: AVEO

2 Likes

Yes, a very BOLD claim and an interesting set of circumstances once fully investigated.

We have device ID’s, IP addresses, dates of access, documents viewed, downloaded, locations of places such as a hotel in Irvine, CA where they checked in and used hotel wifi networks, etc.

This is all uncovered by a leading third-party computer forensics firm that does this for a living.

1 Like

Im here for it :popcorn: bwahaha

Damn… i know a few US homies out there.

2 Likes

I really hope you guys get retribution.

2 Likes