Mycology -- Tricks of the Trade

I dont see any bruising…

This should be interesting …

4 Likes

Not much on the ones I harvested locally either.

I had to go dig mine out because the gills looked a smidge too deep on the ones @Bagled posted (they look pretty close after the refresher…).

Galarina, besides being the wrong color(s), also have deeper gills. They can take on the “wavey” look as they age too (Cyans are wavey well before the veil breaks).

I’ve seen the two grow intermingled.

I’ve never seen galarina dried, but I imagine at least the stems would be a different color.

2 Likes

I have been heavily contemplating doing the same thing! Can you recommend a good vendor? And how has your experience been so far?

1 Like

Update. The kid is fine said they weren’t bad.
Edit update. Says he has super bad diarrhea :joy: idk if from the mushys but lol

6 Likes

Respect the mushroom or die.

5 Likes

You definitely want to use this bulk sub!

1 Like

A tip I’d like to share with everyone is get yourself one kg of baccilus subtillus from alibaba say you want a one kg sample, it used as a probiotic for livestock, mix this with some water in a spray bottle a spray into every bulk tub, speeds up tun colonisations by multiple days, dirt cheap and I can even put a few trich covered grains in and the myc will eat them! It’s insane it’s also patented by Monaghan mushrooms as a trich stopper in there bulk sub for large scale agarias bisporus mushrooms!

7 Likes

Do you know if I could use Tribus

1 Like

You could try that, there other gram positive bacteria and it might be slightly exspensive,but an easier way to find it is in natto, it’s fermented soybeans, try not to get the maldodextrin vers, just look for natto started culture online, not sure how the small bits of other bulk powders will effect it like tiny amounts of maldodextrin or sucrose or whatever most starters have included!

Hi, we offer sterilized grains and substrate.

If your sub is too nutritious, you invite premature contamination. Nutrients for your mushies means nutrients for contamination too.

1 Like

Where would I go to have a hepa filter tested?

1 Like

In your lab… lol

Just make a petri dish with it… if you know how… that will easily give you your answer…

9 Likes

Guess that makes sense.

2 Likes

Has anyone seen a mutation that makes just heads pop out, no stump, no stem?
Im coming across alot of these in my bags and they have the same girthy cap width as the other mushrooms (ape variety) but it doesnt grow a stem.
Some are growing upside down with a little hole where the stem would be.

Im going to take some clones and see if i can get a flush full of these. If i successfully pull that off then ill for sure get a freeze drier :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Just a tip for anyone struggling with contam using unicorn bags.
If your having troubles with contamination using bags, there are many reasons but our biggest problem was sealing the bags properly.
We were using a cheap china sealer, dont use those they suck compared to the 5mm magnet seal ones.
We switched over and still had some issues.

If u havent gotten a Hydrochlorous Acid (HOCL) generator i highly recommend getting one.
This is the one we use, might find a better price somewhere else.

We dunk our sealed bags in a 5 gal bucket of 200 ppm HOCL water solution, this shows u if ur bags are truely sealed. The filter patch should bubble out when u dunk but if u get big bubbles coming from anywhere else, put it back infront of the flow hood and reseal it.

When ur doing 50+ bags in a row, its easy to miss a mini tear or miss-seal, so taking that extra step in dunking has helped us, roughly 1 in 9 bags have an issue that is easily remediated with another seal.

6 Likes

So I found way to quickly put up a clean room in my spare bedroom. Use it for many hobbies. It’s just a 2x4 frame screwed to the ceiling, with 10mil plastic and velcro(the plastic was 8 foot and it reaches the floor perfectly.
I made the hepa pre-filter plenum that goes all the way to the ceiling, so that dust couldn’t settle on the top.
I have the In-Line blower on a variac speed controller, but then I usually run it on full. They say your supposed put 1.0 inches of water static pressure in the plenum, I am only managing 0.8 inches at full power. But my velocity is 187 feet per minute@12inchs. And 161fpm@24 inches. So I think I’m OK.

This is a really great thread I’ve learned so much!! Hope i don’t post to many pictures.

4 Likes

Do you think I could sanitize my clean tent if I fogged using Hydrochlorous Acid? I would cover the filter and sanitize that with lysol instead.

1 Like

Yes u can use hypochlorous acid for santizing the inside of ur “clean room”. I would have a fogger system and a circulating fan setup, so that u can turn on ur fogger and circulating fan for about 10-15min, then turn it off and turn on the hepa filter for a half hour, then walk in and start

1 Like

How do you make a 200ppm hocl 5 gallon solution if it only holds 1 liter? I think it can only produce up to 500 ppm. That would require about 8 liters of 500ppm.