Mushrooms on Mars?

WTF!!!

5 Likes

Sounds like some cosmic shit man

3 Likes

We would be both arrogant and ignorant to honestly think that life only exists here on earth. Especially considering the extremophiles that we have here on Earth.
My statement isn’t directed at you! Just humanity in general!

8 Likes

Good to have that question answered for the arrogant and ignorant among us.

The next question does life demonstrate design and intent by continuing to evolve, which I believe it does?

Leaving the question of exactly what is life in its various forms, that is exploiting available tools and conditions ??

Certainly a portion of that includes gleaning sensory information and the experience of joy.

7 Likes

I’ve always thought it’s extremely selfish and conceded to think we’re the only ones out there. There has to be more than humans. If we have this kind of comprehensive intelligence capable of thinking in many different ways in a collective plane of existence then… There has to be others like us or others that are able to have some sort of comprehensive intelligence capabilities.

Maybe not on such a collective energy like humans have but maybe even that too. There’s endless possibilities to how other societies function.

… Then again there’s been a scientific theory that says all the other universes are just parallel universes contradicting our own existence throughout other dimensional planes of existence. This means that there is us and only us and nothing else we just exist differently in different spots of the universe in different universes.

I find that to be depressing though and I truly believe that there’s more than just humans and there has to be other intelligent creatures out there.

4 Likes

I’m hardly qualified to answer the question of what I had for breakfast let alone if life continues to evolve, or not (which I also believe it does). I think that our government has known for plenty long enough that life has existed outside of our blue marble. The things that are beginning to come out now are a result of time, and our own evolution as a species.
I have always thought that in an infinite universe we’d be infinitely ignorant to honestly consider ourselves to be the only sentient life forms around. I mean, I got kicked out of private school for honestly inquiring about (among other things) why these Buddhists on the other side of the globe are going to hell if they’ve never even heard of Jesus? But my personal feelings are exactly that… Personal. I don’t try to impose my thoughts or conceptions on others (outside of maybe calling humanity in general arrogant and ignorant on an internet forum).

6 Likes

That got me to laugh. That’s something I would say.

4 Likes

Define parallel universes. Life demonstrates intelligence in pursuing its niche and continuing to evolve to a higher plane, whether it is sentient by our definition.

Consider our advances in AI and robotics, with where that ultimately will lead and eons from now, what will the AI have to say about us??

Consider that our known universe is not scattered, but laid out like a neural network. Is it a body and we are sensory cells of that body, along with all other life?

Buddha noted that the beginning and end of infinity is incomprehensible, which may be the case for us at this plane of consciousness, but what of the conscious of the whole?

Our organized religions of today, were constructed by man thousands of years ago and most certainly haven’t kept up with mankind’s evolution of intelligence and discovery. More people have been killed in the name of "God(s) than any other reason.

It looks to me like the creative force behind life (our “creator”) provided everything both the hare and the fox need to survive and prosper, but is indifferent to who gets eaten.

It is of course also difficult to understand how an entity omnipotent enough to create us, would need help from some of to kill off others of their (His) creation, because they aren’t worshiping him in the same way. Let’s kill a heathen for Jesus or an infidel for Allah.

Organized religion was constructed to assuage superstitions fears, control the populous, and pull groups together in support the civilizations evolution. If you look at the statistics, highly religious groups are still more group oriented than the secular population.

It’s interesting that our governments are just now acknowledging the presence of UFO’s in our solar system. We don’t know if they are interstellar or inter-dimensional, but they are no longer being denied by the “official” accepted science.

What next??

PS: In looking at how many are embracing organized religions, it would appear one is still called for as the opiate of the masses. I wonder what the “modern version” will be, once we are too educated to believe in the old ones??

6 Likes

“God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us?” -Nietzsche
I went on a scholarly search for God after my service (and my committed deeds) because I felt doomed. I still do… (Maybe that’s a remnant of my upbringing?) With a moderate level of luck I was able to understand for myself, that God was within me. It’s in all of us, call it the collective consciousness, or intelligence. But we all have the spark within us. We have the ability to be ambivalent, malevolent, or benevolent. It’s on us to choose our own actions, and how we wish to express the level of spark within us.

At the end of the day, I can only attest to the things that have worked the best for me. Those things are kindness, love, and karma. I’ve done horrible things that still try to get explained away as “doing God’s work”; my “Moral Injuries”. As the VA enjoys calling them. I enjoy considering the thought of rebirth, and reincarnation. And if that shit is true I have a couple of lifetimes worth of shit to make up for! Anyway, I’ll stop. I feel like I’m already imposing too much of myself upon this conversation, and this is a subject I could discuss for days as I have spent years upon years trying to come to some understanding that I can live with!

4 Likes

I did my soul searching and looked for God in the late 60’s and early 70’s . I found Buddhism closest to what I was observing, but alas saw a fight between two “different” Buddhist sects, where they were throwing broken glass at one another, highlighting human nature (animal) trumps our Buddha nature.

2 Likes

Implying humans have been following the original versions of religious texts… Implying religion and all of its teachings aren’t already “modernized”

:yum:

2 Likes

There are zealots on both ends of the scale, but there are still folks believing chapter and verse. The median and mode is more secular but is still wondering about death and re-birth.

2 Likes

You know what’s fucked up, is I truly think the government slipped in the whole “Suicide is a mortal sin” thing. … … …

I mean I don’t believe anyone should kill themselves either but… … I naively think that the government slipped that in there

2 Likes

I had some long thing typed out, but I figured it might be too much. I identify as Buddhist because it’s closest to my ideas, but I’ve developed my own understanding that fits my needs. As we all should.
Suicide I don’t think is a mortal sin. It just is… It’s the most selfish act the anyone could perform. I never really considered it fully until my last attempt, and the fact that I’ve moved beyond ODing and into the realm of total finality helped me make up my mind that life is worth living to whatever end I guess.

5 Likes

Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s…tax advice or a multidimensional analogy.

2 Likes

I don’t know any scientist who ever said “there’s definitely no life anywhere else in the universe”. In fact a claim of that sort would be in great opposition to the scientific method. I have heard religious people say that though!

4 Likes

Like I said, It’s very conceded and self centered to believe we’re the only ones in existence with the ability to have comprehensive intelligence . …

3 Likes

Look at how much we’re learning about cephalopods! They are definitely “sentient”, but maybe not in the way we perceive. I was watching a video on the other day on a cuttlefish they gave the “marshmallow test” to, and it passed it with “flying colors”. That’s apparently some test they give to kids for something or other, but it was super interesting!

3 Likes

Is that you ELon? lol should we start thinking home - we still have earth.

1 Like

I like mckennas theory.

1 Like