Mulching with spent biomass

I want to use spent biomass to replace shredded straw in a mulch recipe, the material still smells like terpenes. Probably a stupid question but could the terpenes interfere with the microbial population in the top layer of soil if I mulch with this? Or would the terpenes still have the effect of controlling pests?

I was gonna mix up some cow manure, worm castings, peat moss, and extracted biomass then use that as a top dressing to my soil before I cover it all up with straw.

1 Like

I think you will be fine. I would try this in my own garden lol

So yeah, that’s all I got.

2 Likes

I’ve been throwing mine in my raised beds for quite some time with no I’ll effects. Ild say go for it. :+1:

2 Likes

Just keep in mind to monitor the ppms of the spent bio to ensure they’re at a safe level to be mixing with the other amendments & manure, don’t want a accidental hole somehow from a phenomenon of poo flying everywhere after someone throws a lit butt somewhere.

Haha the edit was lot was kinda funny

2 Likes

I expect it might be like tea tree mulch - which is basically full of tea tree oil. It’s a beautiful long lasting clean smelling mulch.
Don’t be put off by the smell - it will diminish over time with weather.

Here’s my .2¢

We used to pile up all of our spent biomass (etOH) and if you don’t get out there and turn that pile often it traps ALOT of “gas” idk what exactly was off gassing but it deff created some heat and fumes.

When we did the same with literal truck loads of co2 spent biomass we would turn in wood chips that the city delivered for free after doing road cleaning projects.

Both attempts at composting this stuff turned out to be a decent amount of work especially if you don’t have farm implements. And its real stinky.

What solvent did u use on ur stuff?

1 Like

I been throwing it in my 70gal tub forever, when I put spent clays in there the shit really heats up. I have it full of composting worms also.

I started this compost the end of last grow season. I wonder whats gonna happen or if anything will happen when I start composting my mushroom leftovers

1 Like

Lol I’m a retard, I’m like how tf do I monitor ppms of biomass. But I get what ur saying now, mean solvent not nutrients :flushed:
Good point to make.

What got me thinking on this is that plants tend to make the perfect mulch for themselves. I wondered if there’s some kind of extra benefit to be had by mulching with the same species your growing.

Do you think it would matter much since cannabis isn’t a perennial plant and does not have to provide for the next generation because the seeds travel?

1 Like

Butane, it’s looks like it’d be ideal to use for this

2 Likes

A freshly delfoliated plant leaf releases nutrients & micronutrients the plant itself doesn’t, so yes it is beneficial but, I typically use mine for fpj input. For mulching it’s basically just a ring as greens/browns for the mass. & releasing gas, warming the bio making it easier to decompose, but in all reality it’s just filler

1 Like

Semantics, I was trying to be succinct.

1 Like

my mulch is cedar on the yard. but I do put the pot leaves in the worm bin if I dont have insect infestations.

1 Like

I tried a mushroom log but I prefer seeing the soil to tell if its dry

Let offgas. Top dress. Done. Thank me later. Only mulching i use for my outdoor. Very happy with the yield for biomass. But then again I throw at least 50+lbs on a 10x10 bed couple times over the winter and then again during the season

Only problem I might run into is if u don’t run full organics and your soil biology is devolved enough to handle the quantity. Start smaller and bump it up mor, once you see it breaking down. Worms and rolly pollys love it