Molecular Sieve Size??

Sometimes all it takes is talking or writing it out. :wink:

Do any parts get warm while the butane is being recovered, other than the boiling vessel?

1 Like

Other than my collection, I donā€™t. I donā€™t heat the sieve. Even though, when I very, very first got one, it came with a heating pad and I thought it was supposed to be used so I did for a short period of time.

1 Like

The adsorption of water is an exothermic processā€¦ it releases heat as the water adsorbs to the molecular sieve. Heating it is only for baking water out of it, and only if you can get it hot enough under vacuumā€¦ this is done between extractions.

2 Likes

This I know now. This was a couple/few years ago and I had just switched over from grenades. I loved that I didnā€™t have to spend $12-20 run anymore on those damn things.

2 Likes

I tripped and spilled a bunch of molecular sieve and on the way down I caught a few of the pellets in my mouth.
I did not expect it to burn quite as much as it did and it stuck to my lip too, I was scrambling to pull em off my lip hahaha. Quite exothermic indeed.

14 Likes

I need to replace the screen gaskets on my molecular sieve, what micron is best for this purpose? Also recommendations on sources, the ones that came with mine seem pretty shotty.

2 Likes

I think you want to use the lowest micron you can get. And I buy all my zeolite from delta absorbants

Anyone ever heard of liquid line filter driers? Pretty cheap and itā€™s a nice double safety. Hook them up before hitting your injection chiller. Guess I was way overdoing it with the mol sieve , running 2 4x36 full of 3a 2/3 and 13x 1/3. I think Iā€™m gonna downsize to 1 but we were running like 100# of live a day through them for a bit

2 Likes

do you just use screen gaskets on the sieve or do you add filter paper too?

Just the screens for me

1 Like

I always keep my mol seives under vac, when not in use, and then i try to use as high heat under vac as i can to cook any water out every few days, and it seems to add to the longevity of mine.

Just getting into Mol Seive game and have been reading through several posts. What would be your preferred micron rating you would use to ensure any dust particles remain into the spool and not into your recovery?
Thank You! In advance

1 Like

5 micron (2500 mesh) on both ends is what mine came with

3 Likes

I was thinking the same. I have seen recommendation of 25u and didnā€™t think that was sufficient

Sorry to change it up, but after I baked 300f for 1 hour) my brand new molecular sieve beads, for the (3x12 sieve)I noticed as I was shop vacuuming them inside storage bags there was a good amount of dust.

What is the recommendation method to clean these?

Thanks in advance

A

1 Like

I like to load them into the spool and blast nitrogen through the bottom into vent. Iā€™ll let the pressure build with my thumb on the bottom of the swage connection and let a few blast through to make sure all dust is removed.

2 Likes

Where would you dump a whole tank of used solvent?

2 Likes

Outside would be a start :person_shrugging:

5 Likes

The atmosphere is the best place Iā€™ve found.

3 Likes

Saw someone say into a fan, got scared. So I could take 20lbs into the woods and drain the tanks without too much chance of static causing a spark? I worry about doing it in town and allowing a large cloud to form and someone igniting it with a cigarette or vehicle. I also donā€™t like the idea of causing a forest fire.

1 Like