Maybe a dumb question with regards to Distillation vacuum pumps and oil

I use liquid nitrogen in the cold trap and it seems to catch everything quite well.

1 Like

What kind of cold trap? I’m wondering if it’s the same type as i’m picturing. Is it metal or glass? could you post a pic or provide a link?

How low is your vac level ?
And someone recomended a hose on exaust in a Bucket with soap to kill smell

1 Like

Make a cup around your coldtrap with aluminium foil and fill with dry ice

2 Likes

Hmmm
May have to bust out the ole “beer coozies”

2 Likes

There is an alternative method for removing volatiles than trying to distill them out. I have not scaled it up but have received email back from those that did and this method does take a lot of water and methanol which can all be recovered. Typically I run LLE on raw crude and not decarbed. I use heat during solvent purge of the LLE to decarb the stuff.

The method is similar to a brine scrub insofar as it is a liquid to liquid extraction but my method leaves out salt and uses instead methanol and water in an LLE that removes the bulk of the volatiles when Hexane, water, and methanol are used. The LLE has problems to cope with too and likely an R&D effort to refine the technique. However it is one possible link in a chain that can cope with terpenes but without the hit on expensive pump oil. I use this LLE every month now to take out terpenes prior to short path distillation. LLE like this makes it possible to run decent tasting disty in one pass if temps can be adjusted downward. You cannot really know how to adjust until you run this idea on your own compound.

3 Likes