Maltodextrin and pests

I’ve been doing some reading regarding maltodextrin and seen reports that it works as an asphyxiant. So we had a few plants with aphids, 10g per gallon of maltodextrin wiped them out. I can’t seem to find any documents describing why it was never adopted for long term commercial ag use. I noticed it doesn’t really seem to impact mites and I am assuming that because mites have a chitin exoskeleton and they have native enzymes that can break down chitin so they can molt, those same enzymes are able to break down the alpha 1,4 glycosidic linkages in maltodextrin, potentially rendering it less effective but it should suffocate them…thus not enter their system to be exposed to these enzymes. I’m not really sure. But it works great on soft bodied pests like aphids.

It’s a fairly simple carbohydrate most often from corn or tapioca, and I wonder if anyone else has tried this out or might know any negative effects of smoking flower that was sprayed at one point with a maltodextrin solution.

I figure there are native carbohydrates and polysaccharides in the flower anyway, spraying the plant with a very low concentration of maltodextrin to me doesn’t seem like it would have a detrimental impact but I’d love to hear what everyone else thinks.

This is very cheap compared to many pesticide solutions out there. For $40 we can purchase enough to handle our green house grows for just shy of a full year - specifically for aphid pressure.

4 Likes

There is a product called eradicoat sold in europe that has maltodextrin as the active ingredient.

Are you washing it off afterward? It seems like leaving sugar on the plant could encourage mold.

1 Like

No, not washing afterwards. That’s a very good observation I didn’t think of. We’ll probably run it as our main component over the winter and see how it works but I’ll think about the mold issue.

I don’t know if spraying the plants down and adding in all that extra moisture would be any better or worse for promoting bacterial or mold growth, especially if it’s in an indoor environment that we’re trying to keep the temperature and humidity under much more control than our outdoor grow.

3 Likes