Making fake terpenes pure?

So I’ve been curious this past week if there’s a way to turn “fake” store bought terpenes into purified and glorified real terpenes by means of steam distilling the terps

Do you mean the stuff at smoke shops that is pre-mixed with PG/VG/PEG?

Wouldn’t it be more like adding a bunch of other things though?

Aren’t real ‘terps’ more than just terps that are in those fake ones?

@stoopkid can add way more here than I possibly could.

Edit: I’m assuming you’re talking about botanical terps?

Well instead of trying to isolate the terpenes from a blend of isolated terpenes, wouldn’t it be better to just buy isolated terpenes?

Unless I’m missing something it seems like your trying to dig the chocolate chips out of a cookie to get to the chocolate, instead of just buying some chocolate

Aren’t botanical terps just a blend of isolated terps in certain ratios?

Edit: and marked up at that. I’m sure if you bought and blended your own flavors you’d be saving a buncha money

3 Likes

Just trying to create an interesting thread, :octopus: I’m well aware that you can just make isolated terpenes that have no fillers and are inherently pure.

What I figure though is that with all the equipment that’s out there and how big cannabis has gotten that maybe it wouldn’t be so bad to screw around a little bit. I mean there has to be manufacturers with floraplex and true terpene terps that they don’t know wtf to do with.

1 Like

I think he is asking if you can mix botanicals with hemp terps. Yes, you can mix terps

I won’t name names but several of the CDT’s floating around lately on here are hemp terpenes mixed with botanical terpenes. :teapot:

Surprisingly none of you guys have noticed yet?

3 Likes

And since you are one of the ones that knows, care to shed a small ray of enlightenment and mention how the non-terpene volatiles look between “real” CDT and hemp terp blends?

There’s a lot of ways to tell. I’m going to PM you as I do not want to help these members doing this know how to skirt around the obvious indicators. I just want them to see that it’s very obvious and easily provable to make them think twice about what they’re doing.

The proof is in the impurities. All isolates contain marker compounds that never exist in cannabis. Some isolates contain dozens of these markers that collectively make it blatantly obvious on GC if as little as 1% was added. You’ll see all of them show up so it’s not like a fluke impurity or anything like that.

Not that additional confirmation is needed, you will also see that all of the terpenes that do not exist from other sources will be conveniently very low. So all of the cheap isolates you can buy on the internet will be abnormally high then all of the obscure sesquiterpenes that are pretty much exclusive to cannabis will be proportionately lower. Not just one of them, they all will be significantly below average concentrations.

Then there’s also several ways to tell if something came from hemp or a THC cultivar because hemp does not produce certain volatile compounds (yet). More importantly, THC-dominant strains will contain a couple tell tale terpenoids that virtually do not exist in a plant producing only CBD. These terpenoids are structurally similar to a precursor of cannabinoids so the correlation to cannabinoid content makes sense. As to why they occur in such extreme amounts in plants that produce THC but not CBD is something I’m still trying to wrap my head around. You’d think they should be in both but the concentrations are night and day.

13 Likes

This is the super interesting topic. Always excited to hear some knowledge from you on the stinky stuff.

4 Likes

Can you vouch for any legitimate sources of real CO2 extracted CDT’s?

1 Like

Definitely should get you a sample of the cali hemp terps

3 Likes

Hi,
Sounds like you want to purify terps, best to start with pure samples rather than a blend like @ky_cbd mentioned. You would essentially be doing a fractional distillation under vacuum, if you had a blend you would have to collect a bunch of boiling points to split the mixture up into basically the components of the terp blend. You might need a bunch of receiving flasks to accomplish that. Then you would have to perform analysis on the fractions collected to determine what they were and if they were desirable. Then mix them back in proportions that would be palatable. Much easier to start with a almost pure substance, then collect the fraction of its know boiling point as projected on a nomograph.
From there you can separate the desirable fraction, and use it for formulation.

you might rock something like this, albeit with a larger cow, might want to run a cold bath under the receiver too.

3 Likes

Holy bajeezus that’s an odd looking apparatus

2 Likes