Making Cartridges - Equipment questions

currently I have

1200 AVD carts
litre of distillate
70ml terps
Magnetic mixer ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H8H5XM1/ )
Fifty Shot

Now this would be my first run of cartridges and the only thing I’m worried about is the magnetic mixer. At first it seemed like a good choice but the more I read im not sure.

I could get https://www.amazon.com/MXBAOHENG-Homogenizer-Adjustable-Emulsifier-6000-22000rpm/dp/B07TZ8BMMZ this and then get a separate hot plate, but I’m not sure if that homogenizer is good enough quality.

any tips would be appreciated

1 Like

You’ll be fine with the mixer

The magnetic stirrer will work but the consensus is that homogenizers (good ones like CATs) are better. I’ve used a hot plate stirrer for a while and sometimes it’s pretty close in terms of terpene % and other times it’s way off. I’ve never mixed 1L at a time before. I imagine that will be tough. It can be hard to get a good vortex with much smaller amounts than that, so I’d probably do it in batches depending on how strong a magnet you have in the stirrer and what size bar you have.

I’ve used 5L-10L reactors to mix large amounts of distillate while I was working for a previous employer. I think it maxed out at 6L batches. No homogenizers.

Cat has their size guide on their website though, if you want to go homogenization they scale up.

1 Like

Start with a small batch. Use two pyrex dishes. Spoon out a bit of distillate in one pyrex dish. This will be the dish you ONLY use for distillate. Heat it up then using a syringe add however many ML’s you want from this dish into your terpene + distillate dish. Mix accordingly and fill.

Magnetic stirrer is perfectly fine to get the ball rolling. If you are banging out batches of like 1000 then maybe get a homogenizer.

1 Like

You can get that same homogenizer on eBay for less than half that price. It works great for 100-120ml batches. Heat your oil on hot plate/mag stirrer to 88c add terps let rise to 90c (1 minute) homogenize for about 5 minutes. Dump and and fill. The problem you will find is with your 50 shot. Grab a cart farmer from @cart.farm. If you are doing that big of batches grab the 250ml farmer. You won’t regret it.

1 Like

I 2nd the cart farmer, makes life so much easier. Put that 50shot on ebay.