Magnetic metals on stir bar after Co2 run and Ethanol wash??

Okay I’m looking for any explanation for why there would be magnetic particles on our stir bar. We acquired cannabis from a regulated facility and received testing showing it passed for all major categories. It did not fail for metals or pesticides. We ground the cannabis and then ran it through a new apeks co2 extractor. Cleaned out the column with ethanol and put the beaker on the hotplate and then introduced the stir bar. We ran it at 40⁰C and 500 rpm for about 15 minutes. When we pulled the stir bar out there was magnetic black particles on the stir bar. Any experience with this happening? Or any ideas or speculation on where this would have come from would be appreciated?

How did you grind it? any possibility of the grinder introducing metal, or someone dropping metal into said grinder?

also heavy metals aren’t the kinds that would stick to the stir bar, ferrous would. (if there are ferrous heavy metals i am unaware)

2 Likes

The grinder was a brand new, stand up NeoFarms 5lb shredder. I appreciate the insight on that. Do you think ferrous metals could pass through the column if it was in the extraction tube? Or would the metals have to come from the collection vessel or after?

that one i have no clue. I know ethanol only.

well, and open blasting but that was years ago and I don’t condone such activities

lol that’s too funny, no more open blasting these daze.
appreciate the help

It depends on what kind of filter or screen you have to prevent fines from making it out of your material column.

If it’s a brand new system and they didn’t properly flush the pipes after assembly, its possible you’re seeing residual metal shards let over from fabrication. Don’t know if Apeks machines their parts in house, but if they outsource, they might have overlooked metal shards left over from machining (though that’d be rather poor QC on their part).

5 Likes

Can you post photos?

If the Apex was built using coned and threaded piping, there’s a chance the pipes weren’t completely deburred. The high and continuous flow rate probably washed the shards loose.

3 Likes

thanks for the response, we are also wondering about left over shards. I’ll see if I can find a picture.