Looks like gold.. is it?

St Vinnie’s is slang for St Vincent De Paul. Basically a second hand store like Goodwill or the DAV. The ice cream machines that have a metal bowl are what @cyclopath is talking about. Something like this:

4 Likes

Thank you! I forgot cyclopath likes antiques, saw a whole bunch of soup kitchens and consignments and got confused

5 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

not so much antiques, more not new if there’s a reusable substitute.
think re:cyclopath

who would pay $25 when you can get it for $2

6 Likes

This is the 20min -40c+ my bad uploaded wrong pic acouple posts up… (if you guys even care haha):joy::grinning:

This is one filter… I can’t even imagine what -67c+ plus 2-3 filters… jizz in my pants status

BTW @Akoyeh I saw that clear you did and I just want to say wow…your a gawd😊

4 Likes

How long was your soak? Run warm I would expect water solubles to come out in decarb and the taste to be kind of funky. But if you were fast enough in the soak it might not be that bad. It will lose a lot of clarity as it concentrates and decarbs, regardless.

3 Likes

I though that last pic looked a bit dark @PrimO.Oil. Haha. We absolutely do care! And I wish my first extractions looked like that! The black tar that came out of my first tries was less than desirable. Your future is promising!

4 Likes

@TheLostBiologist 20min soak, and we’re actually doing tests for winterization and seeing how effective each level of cold is compared to warm not really trying to get an end product yet. Also, shorter washes compared to longer washes. The reason I know what I know is because of your tek…your a wizard of your craft. It amazes me how many people over look it on this forum though

The fact I get to discuss this with the lords of oil… words cannot discribe. Feel like a little girl meeting Justin beiber haha

I plan on using your step by step process soon. But these are dingy tests to get kind of an idea of what product we can get off what we do. Know it’s kind of beating around the bush but it’s exciting and beneficial for our business plan.

3 Likes

None of us were born knowing this, brother. Experiment and document, that’s the game! If you’re willing to try new things and learn you’re already ahead of the game! Keep up the good work and keep posting your results!

4 Likes

Oh, man, @Akoyeh I feel that! My first extractions could be aptly described as straight up green dragon!

3 Likes

Hulk Juice is another I have heard. Haha

3 Likes

@PrimO.Oil check this out:

So wrong but felt so right

That is from right around the time that we started to figure out filteration but before we figured out extraction. The truth is that it was making terrible oil at first that drove our success later. We had to become masters of filteration and post processing because we had to find a way to clean up the garbage extract we were making. Once we figured out extraction and applied our processes for cleaning up garbage oil to good oil it all came together. It was a process though. We tried, we failed, and we tried again. Do that enough times and keep applying what works and ditching what doesn’t and eventually you will end up with something great!

If I could give you only one piece of advice it would be to not let the fear of failure alone hold you back. Make your risks measured and informed, but don’t shy away from taking them. Track your results carefully and follow success where you find it. I agree with @Akoyeh. You have a bright future!

5 Likes

:clap::clap::clap: Amen brother

1 Like

Not going to lie the amount of research/effort we have put into this to only be where we are at today, theres been alot of doubt(and i feel like ive only put my toes in the water). The fact that I love doing is helping alot…

I just air dryed the -40c extract down with a fan and it has what seems to be alot of water around the extract? Im assuming this is what you meant by when I do decarbing it should get out the water out. Im actually trying to decarb this with a hair dryer as we speak. haha

Ill post a pic here in the next hour.
Our -80c test will be done by the end of this weekend, because we still need to create a insulated bucket(we are doing construction foam and a plastic crate with thicker steal buckets or buying ice cream buckets previously talked about)

1 Like

I was going to suggest that the water came from reusing the alcohol… But judging from the fan comment I’ll take it that you are not recovering your solvent. Just so you know repeated use of alcohol, especially used at above-cryo temperatures, will lower the proof of your solvent to unacceptable levels over time. Luckily the same rotary evaporator that recovered the ethanol (when you get there) can also reproof it! You’ll want to do that periodically and invest in a decent hydrometer to check the proof as you go.

As far as where this water came from, was the biomass at the same -40 when you started? Freezing the flower down is critical to slowing water carry-over. I’ve actually found that it’s better to throw warm ethanol on cryo frozen bud than to throw cryo frozen ethanol on warm bud (though I don’t suggest either-- freeze both!).

2 Likes

Also, do you have a picture of it? Water in oil looks cloudy white.

2 Likes

@TheLostBiologist That is what thought the water was because of almost no smell, but that’s pretty cloudy

Here is about an hour and half of a hair dryer on it

I was able to pour 90% of it out before the hair dryer

2 Likes

That looks like wet oil to me! Nice color too! Not to throw caution completely to the wind but as long as you know the biomass you’re using is pesticide free and you’re using clean alcohol a quick and easy taste test can usually tell you if you are dealing with water or solvent.

I don’t usually advocate for putting experiments in your mouth, but in this case there are only a few things it can be and none of them will kill you in small amounts.

Trade in the hair dryer for a heat gun. They are about $20 at Home Depot. You can also speed up solvent purging and decarb by placing your mason jar in a pot with a few inches of water and slowly bringing the water to a boil. Ethanol boils off quickly once it gets going and the boiling temps will decarb that small amount of oil in no time. Make sure to bring the water to temp with the jar already in it. That lowers the chance of cracking the jar. Also, use an electric stove or hot plate, not gas. Ethanol vapor doesn’t respond well to open flames! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

haha funny that you say that because I did try a taste test… wasnt very alcohol tasty, I only did a small finger touch so I might be wrong but that was as test i didn’t want to trial and error. xD

I like the mason jar idea and also I just remembered I have a few heat guns in my truck for painting! Appreciate it:D

Just don’t point the heat gun in one place for too long or get it too close. Mason jars can take a lot of heat but they don’t like getting too hot too quickly.

1 Like

And for any one else playing this game, the solvent needs to be gone before you start waving the sources of ignition around.

Pointing a heat gun at a mason jar full of mostly 190 might not be as earth shattering as igniting a jar full of butane or pentane, but it could certainly make you regret the move for a long time

5 Likes