Looking for feedback on the techno heat mantles

So we’re getting setup with a 22L system from summit, but I’ll be sourcing certain things cause I can find pumps and rebuild them for way less. But I’m looking for some feedback on the mantles, who has used em?

I should state too we’re looking at ffe and wfe as well but are leaning more to SPD because of the difficulties in cleaning the equipment

Any questions you have let me know I’m here to help. Also those mantles come with free automation software fornth mantle. One button press recipe runs. Once you inpit your recipe

1 Like

I ran a 5 liter techno mantel for a few runs
IT THE BEST MANTEL BY FAR
It s the only piece of equipment that summit has bragging rights for for sure

5 Likes

Lol thanks.

2 Likes

Wiped film is easier to clean then an spd IMO

To really clean an spd you have to take it all apart and reassemble it

A wiper you run ethanol through and it’ll stream clean the whole inside of the wiper

This cleaning method takes care of pesticides too so I wouldn’t be too worried about cleaning on a wiper

3 Likes

Not if you have burnt sugars or any of that other char built up

Ethanol doesn’t touch that stuff

Water does, so does ZEP

Also don’t let it build up, clean at the end of large lots.

2 Likes

You can flash clean a flask in place with limonene and then vacuum it out :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Our customers get those free tips and tricks

You mind sharing your sop for that?

1 Like

There’s probably like ten diff ways to do it. I have some customers who had admitted to using the kn fluid diaphragm pumps and up to three series for fill, flush and such. A really easy way is leaving the rbf in the mantle and letting it cool down a bit, some people wait till it’s below thier solvent flash point…then add a tid bit and let soak and spin with your garbage. Then using a modified 5 liter media bottle with a drain and vac port at the top you pull vac and in the thermo well port just insert a ss tube and suck it out. If you want to add more limonene and let it sorta reflux longer you can repeat this basic process. I have heard rumors people have talked about gear pumps but if you aren’t at a vacuum even a basic rotary function pump will work. I only recommend using gear pumps on discharge side(s).

2 Likes

I’ve never had to disassemble a wiped film to clean it. If you can do the same thing on SPD that’s cool. But i would like to see method for cleaning SPD completely with no disassembly. How do you even get the residue out of boiling flask without taking head off?

3 Likes

These mantels work great. They never overshoot.

2 Likes

Still requires you to take the spd apart to get the undistilled residue out

Pro tip

Xylene is cheaper and works better then limonene

2 Likes

Cheaper and better solvent power doesn’t mean better period. Limonene is less toxic and works, I would never let or make my techs use xylene to clean anything. I’ve even used 50/50 terpinolene limonene with fantastic results.

4 Likes

Very interesting to hear, as from all my reading and from what I’ve heard from others with wfe systems, it’s a harder setup to clean, but the benefits of wfe are what really draw me to it. So anything your willing to share is much appreciated :slight_smile:

As you’re generally a cut above the rest, would you consider cleaning equivocal to cleaning an SPD setup? In my past work I’ve always been taught to clean my equipment after every use to keep it top notch - my past work does not include lab work but in my life I’ve not seen a negative to keeping things clean, it’s just the time involved, however, even if considered overkill, if it keeps stuff working optimal :man_shrugging:t2: It definitely won’t bother me to do so

1 Like

Very cool to hear folks, thanks for the input :slight_smile:

1 Like

I clean my equipment every time i use it, whether short path or wiped film. I just find the process a lot easier on wiped film.

3 Likes

Great to hear that I should keep going with what I’ve been taught in that regard :muscle:t4:

Ok did not have those issues :+1: