Looking for a consult to help with getting a lab up and running specializing in EtOH extractions.

Hey Future4200,

Brother and I are looking to get into extraction after growing for a couple years. We have decided on EtOH extraction over CO2 / hydrocarbons. We might dabble in hydrocarbons in the future, but EtOH is the best for us right now.

We’re leaning more towards Illinois market right now since recreational will be legalized there Jan 1, 2020., but are willing to listen to other ideas for potentially booming markets.

I’m looking for a consultant who is basically like a lab manager - bonus points if you’ve worked in a lab in the past and know the ins and outs. I’ve done my own research, and know how EtOH extraction works and how to go about it but I need someone to help me find my legs and go over some cost/profit analysis.

Please DM me if this gig is right for you. I would appreciate it if you posted your consultant fee in the DM along with a few sentences about your qualification. I see there are a lot of “verified consultant” tags here on Future4200, so I’m hoping it won’t be too difficult to find the right person.

Thank you.

Ryan

4 Likes

What is your end product goal? are you making concentrates or are you looking to make distillate?

2 Likes

I’m looking to make distillate to start off with, but eventually move into concentrates later on in the future. I feel like doing everything at once will be a bit overwhelming.

3 Likes

Wow, someone with actual realistic expectations! You wanna sell disty as bulk or develop a brand?

3 Likes

What state are you located in?

Sorry about that I see your in Illinois.

Did you ever find the consultant you were seeking?

1 Like

@RyanD626 How has been the development process so far? We are building an ethanol lab too.

1 Like

I’m lead tech at the lab I part own. We do etoh washes, evap, then spd. I’m free if you still need a consult.

1 Like

If your not going to be inspected by the fire marshal and dont need everything UL listed, i can get you setup for 500lbs/ week processing. 2 people needed for 8 hours a day

1 Like

In 8 hours a day without the requirements of cannabis compliance I can show anyone how to run through 1000 lbs. hemp extraction and produce 20 kilos of distillate daily. All for under 60K initial investment.

1 Like

I don’t understand why anyone would want to setup a non-compliant lab…

Cuz its way way way cheaper with similar output, u can make all ur money for the real lab by running that okie one 24/7. U can get experience with what could be done better on cheap equipment. Idk if i was allowed to jump in for a year without restrictions like some states have done, id definitly go with my bootstrap setup just to stack capital for the real lab, instead jumping in big with investors

2 Likes

I suppose. I don’t know how much you guys realize compliance is changing, but, seems like someone might be real upset investing 60k to find out they’re gonna have to spend 1M in less than a year.

1 Like

No use trying to explain to these guys most of them are butane blasters in the garage

Idk to me that seems like a sweet deal 6% of expected investment as testing and seeing if u can even make it work before dropping all the money for the investment

:man_shrugging:

If you think that’s plausible, by all means. After finishing this buildout in Michigan, I realize how the rest of the country is going as far as regulation.

For example, a 10L rotovap here needs to be under a fume hood pulling at least 50 cfm constantly while it’s in use. Got 2? You need another hood, or a bigger hood with double the cfm. Putting anything besides ethanol in it? Needs it’s own internal fire suppression system. That’s one tiny example of how much more regulation exists here over Colorado.

The best part? I hear within 5 years any cannabis or hemp processing facility in the country will have to adhere to NFPA codes. Ever read the codes? Shit gets expensive.

3 Likes

I remember going through the whole rotavap in a hood argument 2 years ago in Oregon. It was ridiculous. The good news is UL has a unified standard for extraction equipment now. Hopefully if equipment starts being listed under it it will give us ammunition to defend ourselves against regulators better.

1 Like

It is true there is a lot of stringency but with my experience building out an EtOH processor here in Michigan is that as long as you have a reasonable arguement or justification for something, show you have proper controls in place (via airflow calculations, expected VOC production, etc…), you are able to more easily cope with some of these NFPA guidelines and expectations. This is where it helps having a good, licensed, engineer to help with this.

I do agree though it’s still not cheap nor as simple as “let’s just put this piece of equipment here without any other thinking”.

Can you link that standard please?

I’d like to pore through it