LLE question? Heptane/methanol/water

I’m going to do an LLE on some crude.

Put crude in 2x volume of Alkane. Then LLE as per @beakers instruction.

Was curious if there’s a difference in putting in methanol, then adding water. Or just adding in a dilute methanol solution to a similar effect.

Does it need to be one then the other? Or will it have the same efficacy by just adding them pre-mixed?

1 Like

Dont use water, heptane holds a little water there for your color will be worse in the heptane layer if you use water

2 Likes

You’d use hexane over heptane then?

No heptane over hexane.

1 Like

Sorry I meant to specify above, I edited.

The crude is in 2 parts heptane.

Beakers technique was to add a bit of methanol, then add water, agitate, then partition. Repeat a bunch of times until the methanol/water runs clear.

1 Like

You’ll get worse results using water. Idk why beaker uses water he had to have been using hexane then. Theres no reason to use water it’s not going to do anything but dissolve a little bit of the red you’re trying not to wash out into the heptane layer. This is from experience.

I think he was using the water to pull water soluble terpenes into the methanol

6 Likes

His process (unless I misread)

Cannabanoids dissolves in Alkane

Add small part methanol
Add water

Drain bottom methanol + water layer

Repeat 5-6 times to remove terps and gums

2 Likes

You can do it that way, you’re not going to have good results though. You need to winterize first. If you’re going for color remediation I wouldnt use water like I said.

4 Likes

Yeah it would be winterized. Its some ugly crude, I do a methanol winterization over alumina to kick out the majority of the waxes and some chlorophyll. Then some LLE

2 Likes

What’s your usual go to for an LLE? Have the crude in methanol then do Alkane pulls on it?

1 Like

Exactly so why would you roto vap and redisolve in heptane when you can do the washes right after winterization while all the bad stuffs in the methanol? Also, doing it the opposite way you’ll be pulling the crap you dont want into the methanol layer with your THC

1 Like

Dissolve 8:1 I’m methanol, carbon scrub, degum, and clay scrub, winterize, then I do the heptane washes till the heptane comes out clear. Roto vap the heptane and 2 passes you’re done

6 Likes

What volume of heptane do you use in relation to methanol? Probably end up another 4 or 6:1?

Do you use the bleaching clay when it’s in heptane?

Beaker used hexane !
Disolve minimum 1:4
Ad water after mixing the oil the hex and the methanol
For right. When layers form you stop adding

3 Likes

Shoot, I was reading his old Tek. His newer one seems way easier.

1 Like

Hey you ever considered carbon scrub after decarb to lose less d8? If short path is your end goal

1 Like

Wich one ?

this one

If spd is your main goal then yes decarb before carbon scrubbing

4 Likes