Lead Test Results in Vape Carts

This topic has likely been discussed, but I found this release eye-opening:

“In an effort to keep the public informed during the Cannabis Control Commission’s (Commission)
ongoing investigation into quarantined vaping products, we are releasing 109 test results from samples
collected and tested over the past several weeks.
Consistent with the last batch of results published by the Commission last week, these tests also show
no detection of Vitamin E Acetate. However, because the presence of heavy metals remain a concern,
specifically the potential development of lead, the Commission is sharing these most recent findings
with the public. Each of these products had previously, and successfully, complied with testing
protocols before being made available for sale. When tested again this month, however, 13 of the
aforementioned products failed for impermissible levels of lead. A product fails if the result detects the
presence of lead at 500 parts per billion (ppb) or more. Products detecting the presence of lead in an
amount less than 500 ppb would produce a passed test result.
These findings make clear that the Commission should, and will, continue its investigation into vaping
products. As additional information and findings become available, the Commission will continue to
share them with the public.”

The failing results seem to be more prevalent in broad spectrum CO2 cartridges. I looked up some of the product and they appear to be housed in CCELL cartridges. Forgive me if this has been posted. I thought it may be of interest to some of you.

2 Likes

weird how products seemingly from the same company will have one terp profile pass and a differing terp profile fail.maybe certain terp profiles are more prone to leaching the lead… or i guess a certain amount of carts may just be faulty and give out lead more than others

3 Likes

i had the same results testing carts for a new lab every brand of cart that had passed heavy metal tests failed only for the ones mixed with terps. They were all tested within 48hrs and they all failed for lead, chromium and a few others id have to look at the tests. All distilate with 5% terps.

2 Likes

I’m no expert on metallurgy, but why is there lead in these carts? Is this just a product of stainless steel or something more nefarious? We were looking into some full ceramic carts. Has anybody tested them after sitting with oil in them?

1 Like

I believe it is low quality metals with lead content. The atomizer is a big leeching component too and not all ceramic is high grade just like the metal. Allegedly it’s better but time will tell.

2 Likes

They add all kinds of things to make alloys, they arent as regulated as american stainless suppliers. When we would so stainless welding jobs it had to be certified by a third party to confirm what the manufacturer said it was for strength reasons and also welding depth or “hollow” spots depending on how you where welding it

2 Likes

Its in the brass/copper. Unless the specifically state 304 or 316 stainless steel, their metal carts are :wastebasket:

3 Likes