Large scale Hemp cultivation tips

Hello, I am looking for guidance on large scale hemp seedling propagation, cultivation, and maintaining throughout the season. I have a consultant, large labor force, and all farming equipment necessary. Many of these questions I have already come to a conclusion on however, I would like to hear what others think.

About the operation:
-340 acres @ 5,348 ft elevation.

• 200 under center pivot w/ fertigation system
  • 140 drip/plastic mulch irrigation with fertigation system
  • Approximately 2000 plants per acre = 680,000 plants
  • 720,000 Fem seeds Cherry Blossom Stormy Daniels
  • 720,000 Ellepot plugs w/ trays
  • Ellepot propagation machine ( speed seeder)
    -16,800 sq ft. greenhouse polycarbonate, heating, cooling, Jain fog emmiters, Large water storage tank, sand filter, propagation racks, 18 1000w 120v Phantom DE, Shade cloth etc.
  • Outdoor hoop houses with shade cloth for hardening off
  • 2 Large tractors set up to pull trans-planters
  • 1 4 seat Cheecchi & Magli wolf pro compact
    -1 water wheel trans-planter
  • disced, tilled and amended ground properly according to soil test recommendations.
  • Planting June 1 - 20 ( whenever completed)

I am looking for recommendations and tips for everything, but specifically:

• Large scale propagation:
  1. lighting in greenhouse will daylight and 18 Phantom DE’s be sufficient?

2. There will be approximately 450,000 seedlings in greenhouses at a time. What should I prepare for in advance and how can I prevent things like PM, pests, stretching etc.

3. What kinds of nutrients should I use and how/when should I apply them?

4. How often should I water?

5. When will they be ready for transplant?

6. How long should I harden them off?

Transplanting:

• Should I set the pivot to water the acreage that we planted that day?

• How much and how often should I water the seedlings once they are in the ground Drip/pivot?

• How often should I fertilize through irrigation system?

• weed maintenance?

Any and all advice is appreciated. If there is something I missed or you have any questions please let me know. I am also searching for another consultant to bring on to the operation. If you are interested or know someone who is available, please refer them.

Thank you!

1 Like

Did you do any soil testing? And preferably you spread any nutrients (NPK) before cultivating and building your raised beds. What type of plastic mulch are you using? You’re going to want to have the raised beds setup for about a week before transplanting.

What’s your labor force look like for culling males? Or are you using feminized seeds?