Large production carbon scrub

So I’ve looked on here and used the search function so I’m compelled to make a thread hoping someone may shed some insight on my situation.
We’ve recently been scrubbing our crude post winterization, predistillation. The crude is winterized and dewaxed prior to scrubbing. We dilute our crude in 10:1 ethanol and we use t-5 in a hot scrub. Bring the crude ethanol solution up to to 70c stir in the t5. Mix for about 10-15mins and then allow it t cool to about 40c before filter over a bed silica on top of a whatman filter paper. Everything comes out great and we are happy with the result from this.

My issue with it is how do you streamline this in production? We heat up the solution in a hdpe 5gallon bucket and stir by hand. Taking away from production by having one person sitting there stirring sucks lol

Is there a better way to do this? Sorry if this is a stupid question. The solution is slipping my mind. Any suggestions? Or how do you guys do it? I appreciate any helpful response. Thank you!

1 Like

A jacketed 100l reactor with recirculating heater is going to be your best option for scaling up a hot scrub.

Also just curious you mentioned carbon scrub in the title but then said T-5 in the post. Do you scrub with a combination of both?

3 Likes

carbon impregnated media in a cartridge or a lenticular

inline after filtration from witerization. cold or hot will scrub chlorophyll if the right housings and filters are used. same dilution. you could warm with a barrel heater then pass thru lenticular for industrial throughput.

multiple passes are possible or multiple stages. scaling is variable to the work flow and equipment availability,

1 Like

Hey @IsolationChamberLab that’s kind of what I was thinking. Thank you for the confirmation. We only scrub with t5 and have great results. Heard AC could cause isomers so we haven’t used it. I’m curious as to what filtration media you use for your distillate, if you don’t mind me asking?

I like the idea of the in-line throughput. I’ll have to do some research on that. Thank you

I filter over a bed of celite 545 in the BVV large refinement filter.

I actually put a layer of the celite down directly onto the 5 micron 12” sintered disk. Then I place the perforated 12” metal disk ontop of that layer of celite and put the filter paper ontop of it. I then push the metal ring down to hold the filter paper down. Finally I do one last celite 545 layer ontop of the filter paper for good measure.

I use this setup to filter out T-41, T-5, AC and even winterize like that however I’ll be getting a 24” belart filter to do the room remp methanol winterization with soon as it’s a little slow with the BVV 12” large refinement filter.

For actually filtering the distillate I use a 2ft tall and 4” wide stainless steel spool packed with celite at the bottom and T5 and silica 60a ontop. This is attached to BVV large refinement filter using a 4” to 2” reducing cone. I’ll dilute the distillate 4:1 with heptane and run it though while pulling vacuum at the base so it’s similar to a crc. You could potentially use nitrogen to push it through to speed up the filtration.

3 Likes