Laid Off from work today.... Sad news

You’re a meme if you believe that

5 Likes

I got cut back in November, took the rest of the year off and then all of a sudden, everyone in tech got laid off. So now the market is saturated. I used to have to beat the tech recruiters off me and now I’m getting ghosted left and right

It’s pretty rough out there now - at least for the remote jobs

2 Likes

Anyone with a degree and semiconductor experience or hydrogen/automotive/EV experience should hit me up.

2 Likes

Tell me about it, sounds like he lacked enough discipline to get good with coding.

Lmao “lacked discipline” right. I learned chemistry instead of coding and that shit is taking me further then y’all could ever imagine.

Imagine getting a degree to only work in some cubicle farm beholden to some gluttonous tech company for 100k a year! Sounds great right? Great untill your replaced. The difference between me and people like that is I will never settle for mediocrity.

If I learned to code I’d be making apps and shit, not working for some scumbag corporation where life and man hours are cheap. It’s good to have an entrepreneurial spirit, not everyone does.

We will see how this thread ages in a few years :joy:

6 Likes

I think if you’re not proficient in some sorta coding in the next 15 years. You’re gonna be left behind in technology.

Technology isnt getting any less complicated, and computers can’t code themselves. Just about everything runs on some sorta microprocessor that needs coding along the line.

I’m super happy I have a coding background. I thought chemistry would have been a cool degree to obtain while working in cannabis but I’ll leave those to people that like science.

8 Likes

Every market is saturated. When I was a chemist, and I did it for almost a decade, it was super competitive as well. Was a chemist in a few different industries and it was the same. And in the more established industries like biopharma, your academic credentials carry way more weight. So if you don’t have a PhD or Masters at least you’ll hit the ceiling fast. So many chemists settle into management or stick in qc/method development. And chemists get laid off too and by numbers alone the number of chemist jobs will continue to grow at a slow rate. So its kinda hard to find a good chemist job.

I dislike academia so a big draw to software for me is that the bar for entry is actually quite low compared to industries with professional standards like (real) engineers. Or Law. Or Medicine. But software can easily surpass those in terms of pay and you can get in without years of formal study. But it is tough as you know.

Have you considered switching up your tech stack? Seems like anything serverside or database related or devops there’s tons of demand. Especially if you know AWS related services. For frontend javascript or mobile dev seems to be a lot more younger people competing for those jobs so yea its going to be hard to get in. But the right skill’s definitely will attract attention.

There’s so many tech jobs outside of big tech. I personally prefer smaller companies that are totally remote. I haven’t stepped into a office in over a year. Can literally work from wherever I want. The beach, coffee shop, doesn’t matter. Beats the hell out of a windowless lab

8 Likes

It’s good to have a job period lol. No need to get on a high horse and think you’re above anything dood.

You’re not special, just like the rest of us.

You’re entire spiel is condescending

5 Likes

I take it you are not an AI researcher

2 Likes

Why are you writing here, instead of writing applications? You are 26 christ, software engineers are in super high demand, and age is no negative for you. Good luck

1 Like

Not once in my thread do I complain I’m just sharing my experience.

I understand I can be re employed relatively fast. But entitled to take 1 month off to just think about my life. It’s my privilege. I earned it. I’m equipped to do what I wanna do, I think what I want to think…

2 Likes

No need to rush, I feel so retired

1 Like

When the average person in the country is making less than 50k, shitting on a profession where people are easily making double and triple that seems out of touch, to say the least.

Maybe that’s what happens when normal people reach scumbag corporation status of wealth !

No hard feelings @RockSteady. [ edited out the incorrect allegations, apologies to all parties ]

3 Likes

You’re getting @RockSteady confused with @Graywolf

3 Likes

Never got an industry job as a chemist. Unemployment at the start of my doctoral in Analytical (my field) was like 4%. But then I graduated in ‘09 and the crash. New grads had an unemployment rate closer to 25% then. Even with a degree from a top tier university.

4 Likes

And remember AI learns from datasets, not hardware.

If AI learns to code it will be from human coded examples, and they will troll the internet for all available code.

Judging from their ‘natural language’ learning spewing word salad that sounds like a politician talking to moron I’m sure it will take some time before it’s perfected.

4 Likes

Oh dang well firstly thank you for clearing that up! @Graywolf I apologize Sir, but I do genuinely recommend you should use a repository

And @RockSteady I apologize to you as well.

I blame the forum for my high quality bud and resulting bad memory… :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Thanks for huggin my post yall love to do this.

2 Likes

you keep them going

That’s a bummer and life changes are always hard. With your qualifications, I’m not sure where you are in your career, but I posted this a while ago:

7 Likes