Known cannabinoid retention in filter medias

Yes cold is less effective and will retain more.

I have hardwood and granulated, should I keep them separated or would it be ok to mix them and get the same results?

Powder is meant for reduction and removal of known compound clarity. Chunks are meant for drip filtration and used to remove all the stuff from burn zones. Chunk carbon removed the sulfer, phos, sulf, and numerous other plastic smelling or taste stuff. I have the chunks in a column and do a drip filtration where it’s most effective.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for this info!

Wrong. Carbon loves thca. In cold applications it’s not a good adsorbent

5 Likes

I’ve had real good results with cold scrubbing though. I wish it wasn’t so hard for me to upload pictures.

Oh it works, and also not using too much. But, in many cases, it will adsorb thca.

1 Like

I’m doing a warm hardwood carbon scrub this weekend, once filtered through media, I will set that aside then run some warm ethanol through the cake and see if I can effectively grab any of the loss cannas. I’ll show results with and without the scrub. (Running 2 batch same mass). Let’s see how much this carbon is holding on to. Anyone interested in this?

(I do 20 min cryo soaks FYI)

3 Likes

I’ve never noticed any significant loss as long as you flush with fresh solvent.

I did an experiment flushing all my spent media that hadn’t been flushed and rotovaped at 35c then put into a vac oven. Result. Complete garbage. Unsmokable black goo. So I came to the conclusion that if you flush your media it’s more likely suited for short path compared to shatter, budder, sugar and the likes. And I’m not sure it only releases trapped cannabinoids.

I could be wrong.

1 Like

Do you know if a 0.2um PP cartridge filter could causes losses in cannabinoids the same way that some powders can?

I honestly do not know. I would not assume it would, the cannabinoids should pass through.

Have you tried dissolving any amount of crude in etho then ran through said filter and roto to find out if it actually does lose any yield?

Are you still using the same process for refinement Renchi? Any final product photos you could share? I don’t have a lot of experience with filtration media but it’s something I’m interested in learning about.

No I don’t have any photos

I have been on a break for a couple of months, the method has stayed the same.

Imo, you only need carbon and bentonite to make quality product.