Julabo Thermal Oil For Glass Jacketed WF Stills

This is a great guide breaking down the thermal oil properties for Julabo’s open or closed oil baths. You will find both on today’s jacketed WF still.

https://www.julabo.com/sites/default/files/downloads/catalogue-flyer/JULABO-Thermal-Bath-Fluids-en.pdf

2 Likes

They aint cheap, but are worth it. I use ClearCo PDMS ois instead of Julabo brand. Saves a little $.

2 Likes

What’s the change interval like for a silicone based oil running around 150C? Running mineral oil after about a week it is dark and stinky.

1 Like

Are you using an open or closed system? Reason I ask is that I have used both on the Pope, and closed systems (eg. Julabo Presto) don’t smell as much. H20S thermal fluid used on both systems needed bi-weekly change - with pretty much continuous operation, @ ~1kg output per day. Haven’t used mineral oil before.

Great, thanks for the info. It’s an open system on a Pope. With 24 hour running the mineral oil needs a weekly change. With that frequent a change the cost different on the silicone oil is too much to justify it for us I think. But we may scale up and only run 8 hour days, so that would probably stretch out the silicone oil change to every two months which would be nice.

1 Like