Issues with low yields

I’ve been running an ETS 1300 machine for years. When I was running this system I was not chilling any solvent, material, or columns. I was able to consistently produce a good color crumble wax with a 15% - 25% yield after a 5 minute soak. I have recently switched to a Mini MEP with a huber unistat 815 chiller hooked up to my solvent tank, injection coil, and material column. We have been running the chiller anywhere from -40 to 20 degrees F. The yields for crumble have dropped significantly, down to 5% - 10%. I am assuming that running that cold is leaving a lot of lipids behind. Are the lipids what I need to produce a good crumble with higher yields? Or am I missing something else? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

When you have a big batch, run one half warm and half cold. Grab a potency test and write down yield and compare the results. Other factors like color matter but yield is the problem.

That experiment will tell you if you were grabbing contaminant or more THC. Are you still soaking for only 5 minutes?

1 Like

We have been playing with soak times and material column pressures as well. No more than an 8 minute soak so far. With all the variables, I was trying to decide which one would be most helpful off the bat. I’m going to run some more experiments this week, just looking for some input from the pros.

1 Like

What’s your solvent mix? What temperatures are you running at? How much biomass are you packing into your column?

Start by only changing one variable at a time.

You changed a big one, the equipment. Try running with as close to your old sop as possible and then work from there.

The only way to really compare between runs will be using homogenous material and changing just one variable at a time, then comparing all the results.

2 Likes

Running roughly a 50/50 iso/prop mix. Dropped temps significantly considering we were basically running at room temperature with the 1300s. I think that has been my biggest challenge. I know that a lower temperature is great for lipid reduction and terpene conservation. But for crumble, I just need to have a decent color with a higher yield. I want to make sure that I have my system dialed before I move onto live resin and CRC tech.

1 Like

What was solvent to material ratio when running warm? Is it the same ratio now?

I’d say that the solvent ratio is very similar. With the 1300s I was running about a pound and a half of material to around 5 pounds of gas. With the MEP I’m using around 3.5 pounds of material to 12 pounds of gas.

Thats about a 3.4 to 1 solvent to material ratio. Which is pretty low. I personally use 8 to 1 ratio.

3 Likes

Room temp gas picks up alot of undesirables which is probably why yields were better with such a low ratio

1 Like

Iso prop at low temps is a bad solvent
If it turns out temp is the culprit
I would ad some butane to the mix

2 Likes

Ratio is way low, and temp is pulling less crap. So your yield will be lower.
I didnt know ppl still made crumble or that ppl still wanted it

3 Likes

Yea this crumble you speak of sounds like some 2012 Dr Darby garby. No offense to you or Mr topshelflife.

Lipids are great for topicals not for smoking.

I would just run more solvent. Add some n butane to your mix. I don’t think a lot of people soak their columns. That’s just asking for problems if you ask me. Run more solvent.

4 Likes

I’ve made crumble from bho that I winterized in ethanol many times. It must be more than just fat content giving that consistency

4 Likes