Isomerization - Times, Temperatures and Heat in an Acidic Environment

I’ve done a little searching on data regarding isomerization rates according to variables such as PH, heat, temperature and time and haven’t really came up with anything. I’m specifically interested in the data for making edibles such as gummies or hard candies with acid added for flavor in a heated environment. I’ve noticed that when making gummies that when I add citric acid to the heated solution with oil partially dissolved it breaks the oil down into smaller droplets right away and makes it much easier to create an emulsion with the homoginzer. I wonder how much isomerization is taking place during this process. Making hard candies of the same dosage (actually a hair less) the process is different, the oil and acid are added at the end of the process. I’ve been told by a few people that the hard candies seem a fair amount stronger than the gummies. This leads me to believe that there is isomerization occuring during the gummy making process and some tweaking to the process needs done.

Is there any data out there?

Not that i know If but send your candy to the lab and ask. For the Chromatogram
Some calculating should make iT clear. Right away
Merceen a terp Gives the cannabinoids a better Brain barier entrance (example)
So have a close look at ingredients to see If Any one of them can create a synergy that makes this diffrance

2 Likes

citric acid is not strong enough to cause the isomerization. What you are looking at is most likely due to how the 2 products are used. THe gummy is usually eaten. The hard candy tend to be sucked. The sucking delivers some THC through the oral mucosa and the rest to the GI, increasing total bioavailability of the total dose.

GI bioaviablity is I think 10 ish %, oral I think is around 30 %. So for a 10 mg gummy, maybe 1 mg THC gets into the blood. For a sucked candy maybe it averages out at 2mg.

3 Likes