Isomerization of CBD to THC in VapePens

Hi folks,

a friend of me wants to introduce CBD vape pens to the German market. He produced some pens (for testing) with CBD destillate in it and they work well. When he contacted officials to find out how to bring his product legally into the market he got a very strange answer.
After asking if he was allowed to do so, they answered that he is only allowed to do if he can proove that these vape pens wont make you high and added the paper from Mechoulam & Gaoni: The isomeization of CBD to THC (Hashish—VII : The isomerization of cannabidiol to tetrahydrocannabinols - ScienceDirect).

When I understand the question right they want to prove us that a vape pen cant isomerize cbd destillate. In my eyes this is quite impossible if the destillate has balanced pH and is only heated a little when used normally in a vape pen.

What do you think?

A simple experiment to show that CBD will not isomerize into THC is to heat some CBD up to temps seen in vape pens and then send it for testing. Repetition and statistics are your friend when it comes to this.

3 Likes

you mean German officials actually do literature searches before approving products?

What will they think of next?

Pity the clowns in the US wouldn’t think to do anything 1/2 as intelligent.

4 Likes

Nothing unusual for the Germans, their attention to detail is always exemplary. This of course raises the bar for market entry there. They will likely want published research that can be replicated by others so someone will have to drop some coin to get this done. They are very keen on documentation there.

Germany has founded an cannabis agency for these question. Mostly they work on licensing medical cannabis, cannabis based products and so on.
Some time ago they hired a lot of people, but when you get send a paper from Dr. Mechoulam where is written (in 1966 so not very actual) how to cenvert CBD to THC they dont seem to understand the content of this paper.

So they are not really competent. They just send you a paper which content they did not understand or read by themselves…

oh yes they are.

The entry level is quite high and everything needs to beer super proof until the point where you cant do it anymore because its crazy overregulated…