Isomerization of CBD Isolate with C-Bleach

Apologies in advance as I know this is a newbie question here, but I have scoured the forums and not found the precise info I’m after, or (more likely) I have not been able to interpret it properly. I am interested in converting a small quantity of CBD isolate powder into Δ8/9.

I previously tried using some Amazon-ordered activated bleaching earth + MCT oil at 100C for ~30min. This definitely did result in some conversion, but left a horrible smell and taste. I filtered 3 times and it improved, but was still quite fecund and not really something you’d want to consume.

This brings me to experiment 2. I have acquired some T41 C-Bleach I’d like to try with. Here are my questions:

• What should I dissolve the CBD isolate into? An edible oil? I’ve seen ethanol mentioned, but I don’t think the solution could reach the required temperatures for isomerization - maybe I’m wrong on that.
  • Most importantly, if this is destined to be in edible oil form, is it sufficient to simply filter the resultant slurry? I don’t really have the quantity or chemistry knowledge (yet) to try fractional distillation.

Here is my proposed SOP:

• Dissolve 1g CBD isolate into 50ml high-quality MCT
  • Heat in small flask with stir bar to 100C
  • Add 2.5g C-Bleach
  • Continue stirring at 100C for 30 min.
  • Cool
  • Filter with 11micron paper
  • Consume?

My hope was that these clays would provide a less difficult means of isomerization (compared to using something like sulfuric acid). Again, apologies for my naivete - I have been reading a lot and deeply appreciate the accumulated knowledge in these forums.

Thanks for any info you can offer.

2 Likes

Why the mct?
You can melt the cbd Ad clay leave hot for a while Cool down and Ad ethanol
Filter Evaporate etho of and done

5 Likes

Carbon Chemistry’s t-41 is sulfuric acid-activated Bentonite clay

1 Like

I’m not so sure about eating oil that was treated with cbleach but not distilled. Call me crazy but that doesn’t seem like a great idea.

4 Likes

Ah - I didn’t consider dry heating. So with an ethanol filtering at the end, it should effectively remove all the material from the c-bleach right? Thanks for the pointers.

1 Like

One should always be cautious about what they put in their body, but keep in mind that T41 was designed to be used in Soy, palm, and coconut oil purification.

3 Likes

Don t usesulfuric acid i tried doesn t work

So sounds like one would use t41 in a boiling flask @100c for about 30 min ? Use ethanol filter ,roto, and distill?

1 Like

C bleach was asked not t 41 If iT is correct that t41 is sulfuric acid activated i would not heat the mixture at all

2 Likes

C-Bleach is not acid-activated? Was convinced that T-41 is the same as C-Bleach but under
different trade name. So what exactly is C-Bleach? An attapulgite clay or something else?

C bleach is T41

C bleach is just the trade name

That’s what I thought. I have T41 but not realy fond of it because of this sulfuric acid component, which is not so easy to get rid of without SPD. And what about attapulgite itself? Would it be sufficient alone to achieve isomerisation by itself? That would be far more handy if you do not have to work with acids and neutralise it afterwards. Anyone have any experience with it? I’ve read that attapulgite may have such properities but want to know opinion from someone who has been actually use it for this task.