Isolate in Europe?

sarah@sovereignport.com

No

Yes.

Taking a look at Novel Food catalogue: Novel Food Catalogue

Well thats just the individual interpretation of the Irish FSA.

Irish FSAI follows the common basis for food law as an EU member state. Which member state shared the screenshot that you posted?

I was indeed wrong in calling that bread novel food. In Belgium, hemp seeds are the only part of the plant that can be used in food, but you still have to ask for permission first and have every batch of seeds tested.

They are very clear on CBD extracts and all other parts of the plant like stems, leaves and flowers: they can’t be used in food or infusions.

Even cold-pressed hemp seed oil needs authorisation first. Not because of novel food regulations but Belgian law. It’s explained here at the end of page 3, page 4 and the start of page 5.

Importing or trading in CBD isolate as a raw product is fine though. I checked again with the authorities just to make sure.

I wonder if isolate is actually legal at all. For instance CBD is considered cosmetics safe but:

Cannabidiol (CBD) as such, irrespective of its source, is not listed in the Schedules of the 1961 Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs. However, it shall be prohibited from use in cosmetic products (II/306), if it is prepared as an extract or tincture or resin of Cannabis in accordance with the Single Convention.

Many coutries within EU still have old laws in existance that consider any product of flower extraction as hash. Thus making anything made from cannabis resin kinda illegal.

In Poland for instance the law states:

• industrial hemp can’t exceed 0.02%THC (yup. But there is a typo and in other places within the same lagal document they use 0.2% but the main body has 0.02% THC)
  • It’s illegal to make extracts from plants other than industrial hemp group (around 60 strains are allowed within EU)
  • rosin extraction is illegal for both indicas and sativas

So some uberstraight govt. worker could consider isolate as a product derrived from illegal rosin extraction.

Note the capital C in “Cannabis” in your post. Do they define Cannabis elsewhere in the Act?

Yeah each state is so different. Malta for example, all cannabinoids require a license. While CBD is in stores and etc., it’s actually illegal to retail under both Novel FG rules and Maltese law. You need a prescription for both from a doctor - quite a few people get their license, fly out and load up on CBD from other states and fly back.

I think we see the way of the casual brokers in Europe disappear/evolve the next 6 months to a year. Full pharma and/or GMP certified storage and distribution practices to be followed throughout the EU.

Do you think that would affect growers too? As in pharma companies growing their own product like Bedrocan in the Netherlands for example?

My opinion only - no. It is looking like established companies such as Bedrocan and GW will be protected.

Especially GW, whose epidiolex recipe is essentially CBD isolate + sunflower seed oil + sucrose + strawberry flavouring (which is a DIN) - I can see them pushing their own narrative to call for regulated cannabis products. If you read the UK regulations carefully you’ll notice a lot of GW languaging in the legislation, it’s blatant.

I don’t blame them though. If I was selling a 10gr tincture for €178 I’d be lobbying hard too.

Just my 2 cents.

1 Like

It’s all tied with the anti drugs act from 1961. There is no distinction. Oleoresin acquired by any means from Cannabis is illegal. And all derrived products.

In Poland there is also an act preventing RD entering our market so basically any substance with any psychoactive effects is illegal if it wasn’t present on ther market already registered as drug, food or watheva. So CBN even if much less psychoactive than THC and not listed anywhere as illegal is in fact illegal. Same with any D9 isomers or synthetics.

Also there is no mention of the amount of THC that is allowed in products. The 0,2% applies only to plants. THC in any quantities is illegal in products on the market.

One hemp seed oil was removed from the market for traces of THC found in couple of samples.

Gotcha! Yeah here it is the Misuse of Drugs Act. All cannabinols and its derivatives are prohibited substances.

The demand for GMP certified cannabinoids has spiked. While there is still cowboy stuff going on, bigger players are looking for reliable and quality assured APIs that are readily available within in Europe. I think we see a reckoning and 90% of the current market offerings come off shelves.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

You need to get verified before trying to slang goods here please

Is it derived from hemp strains that are listed in the european hemp catalogue?
Like Finola for example?

It’s derived from un verified hemp slanging plants. 10/10 would not import

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I actually think that he was just stating the very SIMPLE fact that you MUST BE APPROVED to sling products on this forum. Slangers, Read this BEFORE Posting Hemp Products for Sale - Verified / Verification Post - #387 by muso_giallo

1 Like

YO Jimmy. I was running all over europe in 2019 for a UK company SV Pharma. You’re one of the few people ive come across speaking this language accurately lol.

fast forward through covid and im heading back that way for a new company.

currently looking for that CGMP CBD Isolate (API) by the ton.

would love to chat and see what you’re up to these days!

1 Like