Is something odd happening with the flag system (edited clickbait title)

2 threads recently closed due to too many flags but neither thread seems to have anything to warrant that. What’s going on? Possible system glitch?

4 Likes

No. Typical shenanigans of using the flag system to shut down conversations.

4 Likes

I just posted a thread on this subject… great minds. It’s me, though. I’m not against those conversations either. The subject went off topic.

1 Like

This is just another example of hiding behind and using the flags to moderate content that’s not agreed with

4 Likes

So one person has enough flagging power to shut down 2 threads ?

@future @sidco

Can we get those two threads opened back up please?

Thanks,
your friendly forum members.

2 Likes

They auto open in 4 hrs… if they don’t stay on topic I’ll flag them again with every flag I can reasonably use.

3 Likes

How about just do t read them? Do you flag stuff in every day life that offends you ?

14 Likes

:joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

Judge, jury and executioner

7 Likes

We are advised to moderate the community of we want it to be better. Then I do so, per the standards set forth by the community, “use the flag system as it was designed” and I’m the problem? How do you suppose I read the good information without also reading the bad? Is there a little button that hides all the irrelevant bs? No.

Also, I highly doubt my flags alone closed the thread. There’s surely a protection in place to prevent a single user from doing so. I’m just the one to step up and own his shit because I don’t care if you guys attack me.

7 Likes

Yes actually there is. It’s called ignore

1 Like

Except not every post from every user is trash… sometimes it’s good from someone who rarely posts anything tangible. Also that doesn’t support the idea of open discourse. The idea is to not ignore my fellow man, but hear him out… when he behaves within some range of reasonableness.

7 Likes

No, I don’t think so.

I think the problem is as it has been discussed recently in another topic, a lack of more active moderators.

@Killa12345 can’t do it all.

If I’m not mistaken that ignores you site wide correct? What if they don’t want to ignore you but want to ignore your off topic banter?

What’s the community approved solution for that?

2 Likes

i got back from walking my dog= do I have to walk her again to avoid drama.

3 Likes

Am I the only one that thinks off topic banter sometimes can lead to good ideas for the actual topic at hand? There should be a way to “Flag” a post off topic but not in a negative way and have a filter on a thread where we can choose to see the off topic talk or not. That way a thread can stay original but also its easy to find needed info at hand.

5 Likes

Not at all, its very healthy.

There just needs to be more janitors to help keep the messes in neat little piles

2 Likes

If I had a flag for that post. This is about the flag system, not about your fucking dog getting walked.

@WeedThePeople I can agree with that when the off topic is still technically in the same wheel house… made deciding what should be flagged in the civility thread difficult to discern. When in doubt I refrained. When the off topic is completely off the fucking wall or about some other polarized subject I don’t see it ever bringing benefit to a thread. Ever.

1 Like

I dunno about that. This is where flagging for off topic gets fuzzy. I feel @thumper’s comment is very relevant to the topic of this thread. He may be beating around the bush in his delivery, but I read it loud and clear. Sometimes you just gotta turn your head and walk away. Sometimes shit is so fucked up that even thumper thinks that!

2 Likes

So you’ve assumed a new definition for what he wrote so you can see it as not being off topic. Even if that’s what he meant, it’d still add nothing to the conversation and as such is noise. Noise that as it always does has led to additional noise to discuss the fucking noise he made. :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

I vote for @CuriousChemist to take over the janitor job from @Killa12345 since he thinks obsessive flagging will fix the site :laughing:
Please don’t take this personal as I don’t always agree with my closest friends and family members but love them the same.

4 Likes