Is running small crude batches on larger SPDs problematic?

For example, if I wanted to run 100mL of crude in a 5L boiling flask for SPD. Anyone have experience doing this kind of thing?

I have run like 100g in a 2L. It worked. Never used a 5l. Let us know how it goes

2 Likes

I would recommend getting a 1L or even a 500ML micro setup.

2 Likes

43-50% fill point is most ideal for proper separation of fractions.

1 Like

i just ordered a 2l sp setup with 2 extra smaller mantles and boiling flasks, a 100ml and 250ml. ill report back soon.

3 Likes

Thanks, yea I wouldn’t normally be running such small batches and I was thinking of getting an extra, smaller, boiling flask if needed like you said.

You can use the same mantel with a smaller flask. Put the flask in and then tuck fiberglass insulation rope around the flask to keep it sturdy and wrap around the sides. Works really well and allows you to switch flask sizes for 2nd pass or smaller batches.

1 Like

You can also use foil to line the mantle and dump in sand

1 Like

I just ran a liter in my 22 liter and it was fine

1 Like

22 liter? Holy shit. Have a pic?

1 Like

8 Likes

I started with a 500ml setup. Works just fine with a 2L head.

1 Like

That’s a nice setup! It’s good to know that you can run smaller amounts in a larger setup. I always read that you need to fill the flask at least 50%.

What are you running for fluid in your head condenser? Also, is that first cold trap have a coil for cooling fluid or is that a immersion chiller probe?

I use dynalene SF, I dont really care about the color. I get 5 gallons for 250 bucks and it goes to 300c. I have a cold finger that i circulate alcohol though at -10 after my collection flask thats hooked up to a 10 liter chiller. This helps not burn up dry ice in my cold traps and gives me extra cold trapping power. I then have dual cold traps. I always use dry ice and acetone, Immersion chillers dont work very well IMO. They are convenient though.

3 Likes

@Kingofthekush420 @tare @anon60420198 You guys ran with this one, thanks for the good info! I’d probably go the route of modifying my mantle to fit a smaller boiling flask when needed, because it sounds like a 5L system downstream (what I’m wanting) should have no problem handling smaller batches based on what I’m reading/seeing here.

off to start a thread for some input on my SPD parts I wanna piece together…trying to go nice but budget full bore SPD.

Thanks again,
HK

1 Like

Is your alcatel exhaust just running to atmosphere?

Yes, its only used during the thc fraction so it doesnt put out much exhaust.

im about so start a 200g run on a 2L, any recommendations ?

1 Like