Is CBD to D9 THC conversion scalable?

The parameters listed in that patent won’t yield above 90%, but with a few simple corrections you can get there for sure. I recommend using N-heptane instead of DCM for instance. I hope that helps. Feel free to DM btw

8 Likes

So you’re saying you got 90% molar yield of D9 from CBD with Triisobutylaluminum in Heptane?

1 Like

With some additional changes made to the parameters in that patent yes. If anyone is interested feel free to DM.

9 Likes

Duh triisobutylaluminium works and works well on heptane 90-97% D9 standard
As for scaling that’s another story yields drop dramatically batch size 3 kg for now

Few chemical stores sell the i molar solution in heptane as in hexane Wich most chem stores sell

7 Likes

And can you tell how long does the reaction takes ? :thinking:

1 Like

Roguelab thanks for adding some data I don’t think roipleks knows what he’s talking about…

2 Likes

It also explodes and catches flame violently when it touches the air and water… The primary reason I haven’t been playing with it lol. That and it’s not well stocked in many places, and some have issues with buying it if you’re not a plastics producer.

There’s lots of considerations here. Safety is the biggest one. Unless you have a glove box ($2k-ish on eBay), good analytics, and a good set of cahones. It might not be the right catalyst for you :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

This is the rogue lab glove box and works well
Not setup in detail how I do it but you can get an idea

A 4x36” triclamp spool fits from the botom Wich is what I load and cap on side the box
Once filled I rack it and a sightglas marked to how much I need gets filled and dunked into the reactor closed loop kinda way
Holds enough solution for 75 kg of cbd

15 Likes

This is used for converting cbd isolate to delta 9?

“Analytical Standards”

6 Likes

Do you mind posting the patent number for the TiBA cyclization?

You ll have to excuse me for not beeing able to post it I am in Austria
It s here on the forum I ll try to find it

Found it, US8106244B2.

3 Likes

Post it here or in the data dump please

This is the patent issued 2012 wherein TiBA is used to effect the cyclization to predominantly d9-THC. Interestingly, the patent does not claim the use of TiBA.

4 Likes

The patent says they quench the TIBA with water (15 equiv. to catalyst).

Is that real and safe? I was wondering what folks were using to remove TIBA… I wouldn’t guess water.

3 Likes

The quench itself happens in solution and inert atmosphere is likely maintained. Adding controlled amounts of water when quenching can greatly facilitate workup, avoiding gels and such.

Rate of addition also plays a role.

4 Likes

Yust drip it in drop by drop and have good stirring in place easy does it
Don t rush take 15 min to add 50 ml on the kg

6 Likes

The Tiba doesn’t ignite in water? I guess it needs oxygen to combust?

The water is added to a stirred solution of TiBA in whatever solvent is used. The quench is most certainly exothermic but controllable by external cooling and rate of addition of water.

Combustion requires oxygen and a combustible material, unless you’re “burning” magnesium which prefers to react with the nitrogen in the air.

6 Likes