Is 4% cbd biomass worth processing

With the current price of crude would any processor be able to extract 4% biomass for less than the current wholesale price ?

Material cost would be very close if not higher then market rate

1 Like

That’s what I figured

I’ve heard of crude prices dropping below $200/kg so the time and material costs would probably out weigh that. I currently don’t take anything below 10%

1 Like

Thanks for the input

It’s worth it to do yourself small scale for personal use. 4% is awfully low for the current cultivars available, what are the genetics if you don’t mind me asking?

Don’t have a COA but the grower called it Frosted Lime. 4% CBD .1473% Total THC, poor guy got 20MT of the stuff just sitting around don’t have the heart to tell him it’s basically worthless

I recall some secondhand data that suggested that getting below 1% on the output seemed to be difficult no matter what the starting potency was. Given that I can’t remember the source & haven’t verified it, I’m gonna call it a rumor. Assuming the rumor is true, the best you’re likely to see is 3% yield.

have you figured out your current processing cost per kg?

Might be worth doing so before you commit.

Ya even at $4 a input pound it’s still worthless

I can verify that my lowest #s were 0.6% residuals. Averaged 0.8% with what I’d consider to be a fairly thorough extraction.

2 Likes

Thank you for your input.As far as your operational costs does it cost more for you to get that result than let’s say leaving 50 of the cbd in the biomass

1 Like

There’s a lot of things to consider and research.

I ran a spray style fuge.

It meant I could run an Ethanol extract close to the saturation point of Ethanol.

With low % biomass you will lose more solvent (relative to your end oil yield), as well as time. BUT you
can also fit a bunch more runs into a litre of ethanol before you need to evaporate.

You need to know enough about your numbers to justify whether or not you’ll make $$ in the end.

I’ve taken on shitty material simply to have as a low $$ yield if I ran low on other material. Sometimes you have a lull in your feedstock and can fill the time with less efficient starting material.

You can make $$ off of all sorts of stuff. It’s just dependant on your overhead. If you can’t calculate it… Then perhaps this isn’t the right time in this industry to be throwing yourself into it either.

It’s all a numbers game :man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Amen ! That makes perfect sense to me. You processing guys of spend alot of $$$ getting your shit together. I was just curious if a guy dropped a tractor trailer load of biomass off at 4% ( in a santa suit) how many processors could even make $$$ on it?

Sell it to the “hempettes” guys. Rumor has it they usually use post extraction biomass…

1 Like

So as a processor what is your biggest expense? I would assume it would be ethanol.

I’ve always seen residuals in the neighborhood of 1%

1 Like

Can confirm, 2.5%-3% yields is about the best I ever saw with 4-6% trashy biomass.

2 Likes

Whats the total cannabinoid content? Just because its low in cbd and thc doesn’t mean it hasn’t converted to cbc, or cbn.

If it was free maaaaybe yes. And if the delivery driver was literally wearing a Santa suit? Hmm, that makes it more interesting for sure

2 Likes

I would start a marketing campaign and start selling it as feed for animals, broad spectrum cannabinoid meat, mmhmmmmm
American wagyu CBD beef
Or throw it out and let the deers munch on it, then go hunting and make some bomb jerky

6 Likes